Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to remove video adapter so I can install new drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebootd

Technical User
Sep 5, 2001
US
I have an old Dell Latitude CPxj laptop with an ATI Rage Mobility M1 video card and service pack 5. When I upgraded the service pack to 6a, the display reverted back to the default 16 colors, 640x480, etc. When I installed the new drivers it said it needed in order to use the video card, it seems to install them fine, tells me to reboot, and when I do, it keeps reverting back to the default settings and does not recognize the video card in Display. Can I delete/remove/uninstall the default Standard VGA compatible Display Adapter? And HOW? I hear this has been an issue with some other Dells as well ( but I don't know if that is the same or not. How do I see regular devices like this in NT? (I am familiar with 98, not NT yet) Thank you for your help!

First thing to try is updated drivers.
Did you set the SP install so you could revert back to SP5? If so, try going back to it and see if your graphics are ok.
If they are then you know your drivers aren't compatible with SP6a.

If you go into display properties, settings tab, does it show details of your graphics card or Standard VGA? If Standard VGA, did your drivers come with an install/setup app or a .inf settings file (or both)? If you have a settings file, click on the Change button (in Adapter Type box) - select the have disk and browse to the location of the .inf settings file, then just continue till installed (ignore any warnings about the drivers you're installing).

If this doesn't work, try starting NT in VGA mode and repeat as above, then restart in normal mode when complete.

Hope this helps.

Thanks but I already installed the updated drivers for the video adapter a few times.

So in display properties, is the adapter showing as what it should be or as Standard VGA?

How did you install drivers? (is it a setup/install app or via a .inf file) I was asking, as I've had 'setup' apps for drivers that haven't worked - but using the .inf file via the standard NT method does. I also mentioned doing it all after starting in VGA mode (you know, second entry on the boot menu), as some drivers only 'take' when doing it this way.

I already said it doesnt recognize the adapter in Display (i.e. it shows only the standard vga.) I installed with current .inf file - the problem is not installing it - the problem is that the system wants to default to the standard anyway - what I am looking for is a way to force the system to use the new drivers first. Also, I tried reverting back to sp5 - problem remained. Anyone else?

The system will only revert back if it can't use the driver's you've given it for the hardware in the system. Thus you can't "force it" to use the new drivers...

I'm surprised it doesn't work though. Have you tried contacting Dell Tech Support? Also, try upgrading your FlashBIOS to the latest version (which is the first thing Dell Tech Support will tell you to do).

Do the drivers specify they work/are tested under NT4 SP5/6? [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

Not sure if this is still current, but thought I'd join the discussion since I'm facing the same problem.

This appears to be a problem with some Dell Latitude models running NT 4.0 after they have installed the post SP6 security rollup.

From what other people have said a BIOS update and / or rollback of the post SP6 security will resolve this issue.

I'm working on this right now and am in the process of the BIOS update first to see if that will solve the issue. My first try to start rolling back the security patches led to a BSOD...

Matt

I have run into this problem many times with NT, while replacing a video card with a different type. What I do is after you install the new video drivers using the display properties inside control panel (make sure your the administrator), when NT ask you to reboot, select "no".
Go to "settings" and see if you can set the display color palette and desktop Area to another setting other than 16/256 color, than (important) select "TEST". Choose "OK" to run the test. This will test the new display settings and drivers you loaded. Select "YES" that you saw the bitmap test properly. Exit from properties completely and reboot PC and go back into display properties and reset color and desktop to your liking. You should see the new video card drivers too. This does it for me all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back