Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to remove shortcut arrows? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruno2000

Technical User
Mar 31, 2002
SE
I want to remove the little arrows on the shortcuts on my desktop.
I have used both Winboost 2001 and Tweak UI..
It worked at first but now it doesn't.
I want to know how to manually remove those ugly arrows

Delete the following registry keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\IsShortcut
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\piffile\IsShortcut

Jason H.

That is correct, but if you do a search in regedit for 'isshortcut', you'll find those elusive locations faster!
(Only delete the IsShortCut value itself, nothing else and leave any other 'isshortcut's you find in the search as they are.) My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Rename them to IsShortcutold, rather than deleting them. At least if you change your mind later, you'll not have any problem remembering what you did to get rid.

It doesn't work ,i renamed it to old ,i did a search in regedit but could only find one to rename.
I'm using Win 98..
Anyone else?

Oh and don't forget to backup the registry before hacking away at it

I ALLREADY HAVE IT!! AND WINBOOST 2001..
As i was saying..They don't work anymore.

Anyone else?

Oh my apologies, didn't see that you had TweakUI.[shocked] [deejay]
Nate
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"

Make sure you're going to LNKFILE and not INKFILE (uppercase for clarity only)and reboot once you're finished in the registry.

I beg to differ, I delete the dwords from INKFILE and PIFFILE and it works fine......... My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Of course you may differ, Andy, I'm always happy to be corrected. I have searched the registries on both my operating systems, Win98se and XP pro, and I can't seem to find an INKFILE in either of them.[peace]

why dont you have to mess with the registry if you have this "tweak ui"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back