Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to remove one dead domain controller running windows 2000 server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

amanua

Technical User
Sep 26, 2005
US
Just this morning, found out that one of the two domain controllers running windows 2000 is dead but have one already built which I can put in place. Fortunaltey, it appears the dead is not running any of the fsmo roles but I need to remove it before I put the new one in place.Or can I put the new one, run dcpromo before the dead one is removed.Any procedures or links.

Perform a metadata cleanup:

NOTE: DO NOT REUSE THE NAME OF THIS FAILED DC...EVER.

Once your AD is clean, then promote your new DC.

Our 2nd dc died 6 months ago. We haven't done anything except to delete it from AD. I think the remnants of the failed dc are causing issues with group policy and adding PC's to the domain.

I tried doing metadata cleanup (with the above microsoft link).

Of course, when I get to the command to connect to it, it will not connect because it's not on network. Then when I type list domains, it tells me Not connected to server- use "connections".

What can I do next? Please help!

Verify the location of the FSMO roles are on an existing and running DC (may require seizing a role if not). Verify you have a global catalog on an existing and running DC. Verify you have the required srv records in DNS for your domain. Run NTDSUtil.exe with an account that is a member of the enterprise admins group.

Note: not being able to add objects to the domain is one sign that a domain FSMO role is missing or the Knowledge Consistency Checker can't replicate properly (the event viewer will usually say).

Start, Help. You'll be surprised what's there. A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back