Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to remove logon password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
More than a year ago, a visitor was playing with our computer and created a password. We are now reminded of him everytime the computer boots up.

(Now don't get any ideas to repeat his crime)

I have tried to delete the .pwl files but the logon password prompt comes back every time. How can I permanently remove this...Thanks for the help!

Hi,

If you are only using one user profile goto:
- Control Panels
- goto Passwords
- click on User Profile Tab
- highlight the circle next to: "All users of this computer use the same preferences and desktop settings"

That will get rid of any profiles except a default one, and the login prompt will go away.

Hope this helps! NATE
spyderix.gif

design@spyderix-designz.com

If SPIDEREX's solution does not work, you can delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Network\Logon key in the registry.

When you reboot, you will be prompted for a username/password, but if you look closly it will say 'leave the password blank to never see this screen again' or similar. Enter a username, but no password and click Ok. You'll never see the logon screen again.

I have the opposite problem. Windows does not ask me for a password, so I cannot log onto my network. Client for MS Networks is installed and pointing to my domain, and the Primary Logon is set to Client for MS Networks. I have un/re-installed networking, and have even re-installed WIN ME over the top of itself. Still, I am not prompted for a password at start up.

Any Suggestions?

Go into Network properties, and highlight Client For MS Networks, and click Properties. Make sure you place a check in the "logon to NT domain" option, and enter the name of your domain in the lower box. This should force the logon.

If not, you can try my previous instructions about removing the Logon key. I have yet to see these instructions fail to bring back the logon window.

yeah thats what it was- the registry key

thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back