Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to remove (delete) a horizontal line from MS Word (XP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mubarak

Technical User
Dec 5, 2002
EG
I tried deleting such line by all (simple) means but failed!, the only (DIFFICULT) way is to mark it with the texts in the lines below and above it, then delete them all together!
You can't make it active, but when you move the cursor over it, you get the bidirectional (vertical) arrows (similar to table borders) which allow you to move it. Please help!

Many thanks "Dreamboat". I had a similar problem a year ago (While editing one of the books), but did'nt know your forum at that time (so I was forced either to keep it as it is, delete the paragraphs, or go through a lengthy cut and past process!).

It worked well, At least now I know that this line was a "border" (not something else "unknown"), so my son suggested removing it directly from the tool bar icons "remove borders icon" (with one click).

I am pleased to be a member of this forum.

Remove borders button, of course.

I just can't describe that as easy as menu commands, especially if I don't remember what it's called. Then, I'd have to explain how to pick the one that shows NO borders, etc....LOL!

We LEARN how to answer the questions to avoid being asked MORE because our answer doesn't make sense or, in this case, you might not have known what the border button is.

:) Anne Troy

Try turning off this annoying feature. In Word 2000:- Tools Autocorrect.... AutoFormat As You Type tab and uncheck Apply as you type - Borders.

Des.
Barking, Essex.

Thank's "innocuous".
Actually this feature comes either in documents created by other persons(which you were asked to edit), or if you type a continuous dash (by "shift" + "-") then click "enter" at the end of the line. Then you are faced with this "annoying feature" (as you described). Now after some experience I prefer using a table cell (better even than a text box), then I can make whatever border I need visible or invisible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back