Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to remove certificates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mousejock

MIS
Sep 30, 2008
CA
Hi... new to the forum... thanks in advance for any help provided!

Ok.. I followed some Microsoft instructions to make my SBS 2003 Server a Cerificate Authority, and create a certificate for use with OWA. Then added that to the Default Web Site... and enabled SSL.

It didn't work... so I messed around and made a few different certificates... and now I have created maybe 5 or 6.

My question is... where/how can I undo all the certificates I have created and start fresh again?

I would ask why you haven't been using the internet connection wizard? that makes cert automatically for your OWA.

I think you can manage certificates installed on the server from the certificates section within internet explorer, you just hav to find the certificate store they are in.

Skr

Thanks again SkreeM... I did initially set it up with ICW... but no matter how many times I do, I always get the certificate warnings when connecting to OWA... so I was trying to manually do it.

The process basically involved installing Certificate Services, and then creating and attaching a cert to the Web Site... and flipping on SSL.

You need to install the self generated certificates to lose the warnings

Alternatively purchase a $20 dollar godaddy one

Setting up your own CA will only stop the errors if you import the cert you created on every workstation that will connect to OWA. Just having a CA and a cert doesn't put you in a better position than the original ICW cert did.

I don't know what you are paid per hour, but $20 to take care of all of it in 35 minutes is a bargain.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Ahh! That's the key bit of information I am missing. I thought making the server a certificate authority would stop the "There is a problem with this website's certificate.... blah blah blah" error message.

So you are saying that a certificate from GoDaddy will work and the error will go away, without installing certificates on the workstations?

Thanks mate!

Yep, that's right, since the workststations already have the root CA for GoDaddy (or GoDaddy's Sith master's root CA if GoDaddy uses an intermediate) installed.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back