Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to remove and reinstall IE 6.0 SP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssamx39

Technical User
Feb 20, 2004
US
Our company has a web based application that users log into to gain access. The login process normally takes 15 - 20 seconds.

I have this one computer where the login process takes 2 - 3 minutes. We believe it's an issue with his PC.

I compared my Help/About IE to his Help/About IE Here's what we both have:

My IE About
Ver 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633
Cipher strength 128bit
Product ID (non important in this thread)
Update version: SP1, Q330994, Q824145, Q832894

His IE About
Ver 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633
Cipher strength 128bit
Product ID (non important in this thread)
Update version: SP1, Q810847, Q813951, Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q823386, Q832894

Can I go in and remove these extra hotfixes without causing damage to his IE? I guess I could always do a system restore point before removing these hotfixes, but I was just curious if there was some words of wisdom.

TIA

Carrie

Just check you cant find some of these hotfixes in add remove programs some may be in there.
Also on the slow login point make sure you havent got a bad NIC, Spyware installed, Virus etc.
The usual checks.

I was definitely planning on using a spyware removal tool. I'm not sure on the bad NIC. His Internet access seems to be fine, but it's just this login to our secure site.

Thanks for the advice noellees1!

Carrie

thread779-796368
Details a lot of the spyware removal programs but i will repeat them here
Spy Bot Search and Destroy
Adaware 6.0
CWShredder
These will hopefully (when fully updated) wipe out a lot of problems.
I would suggest if you havent already get an antivirus like AVG on the machine then GET it.
I.E Can often be a right pain to sort out you may have to do an add/remove programs windows components and see if you can remove it

Check out some of these and see if they help you.

WinXP Connectivity Issues
Slow Logon to Windows 2000 Domains
faq779-4017

takes a long time for xp pro to login to w2k3 server
thread779-544489

Speed up Network Browsing
thread96-664508

To All,

It seems that we've got some excessive Hotfixes that we can remove plus I can unload 18 patches and install the Q826939 which rolls up all of these patches into one patch.

We'll see how that works.

BTW, AV up to date and scanned system. Adaware loaded, updated, and scanned. These did not fix the problems.

Have you tried moving the XP workstation from the domain to a workgroup (any name is okay), reboot, got to server and delete the computer account (not user account!), then go back to the workstation and join it to the domain? Sometimes the "Trust Relationship" fails and can't fix itself. Think of it sort of like hidden passwords between the server and workstation that got out of sync.

Well, I got close, but no cigar. I found a new problem though. What I had done was run XP-IEreinstall.reg so I could reinstall ie6setup.exe. After we ran the reg hack, rebooted, ran the setup, and rebooted again he no longer had IE on his desktop or his Start menu. So, I thought I would go into Add/Remove programs/Add/Remove Windows Components and see if that was uncheck and I get an error:

Cannot open (or find?) the information fil fp40ext.inf file.

So I did a system restore to yesterday's date to remove any changes that I may have made to his system (IE was back to the way he had it) and tried to open the Add/Remove Windows Components again and got the same error.

I'm just wondering if this isn't my problem. I'm also seeing an old version of Java Runtime that I don't need and can't uninstall (that I can handle). I was going to remove this and reinstall IE, but I have this other problem first.

Any suggestions? This PC was one of the original XP PCs that came out 18-24 months ago so he's got a lot of old patches and what not on there that might be causing our problems. He's wondering if he should do either a system refresh or possibly a format reinstall?

Let me know what the masses say [afro2]

The removal of the old IE, and installation of an updated IE, should not be this hard. But it can be. You have to be exactly right about the directory your start in (containing the downloaded update files, nowhere elese) and the command line is peculiar.
thread608-796524
Forum member carr has some notes here: thread608-796524

But be sure to read Daniel Petri's irreverant comments about following the instructions exactly, here:

I forgot to emphasize that the MSI installer for IE will take care of older installations and components. Do nothing other than the upgrade, and let the MSI installer handle your older components.

With so much happening and errors being created upon errors I would vote with the Format and Reinstall camp.

If you just do a Repair Installation it may or may not work as it will not repair any Registry settings but more than likely carry them over.

sigh.

linney your are being a wooze on this issue.
fp40ext.inf is a front page extension file, and should not interfere.

You can remove the reference in sysoc.inf:
fp_extensions=fp40ext.dll,FrontPage4Extensions,fp40ext.inf,,7

I think applying faq779-4625
and if no resolution, replace the network adapter card and review all cabling for that machine.

What happens if you move the machine and connect to a different physical connection point in the office? Is it still slow?

Finally, before giving up with a re-install, see faq779-4784

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back