Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to remove a label version

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteG

Programmer
Feb 23, 2001
GB
Hi,
How do I remove a label version entirely, like it never existed? I don't want to remove the actual files, just the label version.
Thanks
Pete

Are you referring to simply removing the label?

Yes, in our project we appear to have several versions of a file with the same label. I'd like to clean it all up and we are now in a position where I could remove those labels.

When I say we have several versions with the same label, I mean that when I look at the history of any particular file, there will be multiple instances of the exact same label name and I'm sure that isn't right (it sure doesn't LOOK right anyway). The only difference with the labels is that the label icon for the latest one appears right next to the files version number whilst the others appear on their own line, eg in between file version numbers.

It all looks confusing to say the least. We always said 'yes' when asked if we wanted to remove the old label when re-labelling but we still end up with these 'historic' labels.

One thing I'm wondering; if we label a project at the root on one occassion and then label, say, a folder with the same label, perhaps VSS treats them as different labels and retains both rather than removing the oldest?

Cheers

Pete

The way we are removing old labels on all our projects is as follows:

Go to the file that has the label you want removed. Right click on it and select "Show History". Then go to the version that you want to remove the label from. Click on the "Details". All you do then is simply delete the label in the text box and click "Close". You will be prompted to save the changes...select "Yes" and you will have removed the label. I hope that helps.

If you label a project at the root then later on decide to change the label on a folder in the same root directory, SS treats this somewhat strangely. Even if you label that folder to the same label that the root is labelled at SS sees that as the "chain" being broken and will treat them as separate labels. I hope this helps too.

I'm not an expert with SS, but this is stuff that I have just uncovered quite recently.

thanks for the advice, looks like I'll be going through deleting all of the old labels then

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back