Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to remove a dynamic route without flushing table 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wehttam

Technical User
Nov 11, 2002
US
I did a keyword search. Only found information on how to delete a static route. I would like to know if there is a way to remove a route that was created dynamically by a redirect... without flushing the entire routing table.

From my research I understand that the route must be removed through the method it was created... created through smit, remove through smit... etc.

I have a route that shows up in my # netstat -rn list which is incorrect. And when I display the routes table through smit, it Flags it as UGHD (up, to a gateway, to a host, created dynamically by a redirect). I would like to remove this incorrect route.

I do not want to flush the routing table, because that will terminate many other connections that are currently active.

I cannot remove the route through smit... Method Error... chginet: Cannot delete route...

Any suggestions??

As a long shot - try running the chginet from the shell prompt, (look in smit.script) and add a -P to the end.

This works with chdev on "busy" network devices.

best of luck

Thanks for the reply TimCGEY...

I didn't try to execute chginet from the command line because the man pages specifically note that you should not do so... but I did find a solution for those of you having a similar issue...

Because the incorrect route was in the table as the result of some dynamic action (it was incorrect because at the time it was created the correct route was "down", so the box sent traffic to the next appropriate gateway... which was the wrong gateway...) all I had to do was create a static route for this entry through SMIT. By creating a static route through SMIT, the new route "over-wrote" the dynamic route... problem solved...

Thanks!

The route command should allow you to delete any route. The correct syntax is route delete "IP address".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back