Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to remember your students name? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfessorK

Instructor
Jan 18, 2005
US
I have a way to remember students name from day one, hour one.
what I do is after telling them a little about myself(credentials/experience/fun facts/etc.etc.etc.
then I ask them to make a circle in the classroom, then I ask them to think of something that starts with their first initial, then I ask one to start be telling us what they picked and have them add it to their name(example... my name starts with a A so I picked Awesome Adam,next person would then say Awesome Adam--then theirs. the next person would then say the first then second then theirs...on so on.
by the time you go around you have heard each name (however many times) and with that you remember names of your students.
I've done it this way for about 4 years now...works every time(I make myself a seating chart right afterwards also and then remember where they are seated as well)
one time I had remembered 45 students names with in 1 hour!!
of course they remember yours, too!

It's amazing the responses I get when I call on their name without looking at the sheet..it makes then feel....well...SPECIAL!!

what I wanted to see is...what do you do to remember your students names?

Prof. K

Fortunately, our class size usually ranges from 10 - 11 at the most so it's very easy to remember names. Our classes are usually from 9 -3 in one session and many times, we will see the same class particpants several times in a year. This is my 31st year doing teaching/training and I still love it as much as the first day! Classroom teacher for many many years and then moved in a different training situation...Although, I AM loking forward to retirement in a few years.

I also have my own web development and application training business (last 10 years or so). I love being busy!

**Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.**

Thanks for responding lexux,

I've been in the field only 6 years now, and am now working what I was preaching...sure miss doing it full-time.

could you share a little bit more on your web developments and application traiing business?

Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.
what about german? I know a little....

Prof. K

That would be for another thread....but I have been doing web sites since Mozilla broke onto the scene...Along with my web design & development business, I offer training to my clients in maintaining and updating their own sites. I offer Dreamweaver &/or Contribute, depending on what their skill and interest levels are. I also offer training in desktop publishing and other applications, both to the coporate and home user. That I do on the side, either evenings or weekends since I am a full-time trainer and webmaster for the company I work for.

Makes for really good pin money for me...

Yes..we only do very limited online courses. I have 3 right now. We deal more with hands-on in class training and we also can offer videoconferencing as well. We have access to Blackboard if we want to use that for online training.

Right now we offer training in a multi-county area and we are also part of the state education department. I have a fantastic boss, great co-workers, and WOW! office with laptop, dual 19inch flatpanel system, pda, wacom tablet, printer, access to 3 color laser printers, etc. Our training labs at our site are pretty much state of the art, along with our projection system and whiteboards. I have 5 digital cameras to use and if I need anything else, I put in a PO and have it ASAP. I travel to different locations for training and just have a great time as well. I really love my job...:)

Oh yeah, the salary is excellent as well as the benefits...

If you ever come to the St. Louis, Missouri area look me up.
I'd like to take you to lunch and talk more about the company.

Prof. K

Thanks for the offer...

In some situations the students are supposed to have tent cards on the monitor. When I pass out the cards and the markers I tell everyone that they need to write whatever name they want to be called that day. I then warn everyone that "Zena Warrior Princess" will do just fine but that everyone else will remember it later so they might want to pick something they can live with. This always gets the first chuckle of the morning.

Kirie,

that's a great Idea!! I'll have to do that in my next class to see how it would work out..

thanks!

Prof. K

We used to do thatbut our labs have flat panel moniors now. The tent cards just won't work anymore. I still create them to put on their packets of handouts. It is a quick way for me to do attendance as I can see who hasn't picked up their hadnouts yet.

I also have everyone intor themselves at the beginning of each workshop: who they are, why they are here, expreience level, etc.

At the end of each workshop, I have them again go around the room and ask them for just ONE item they learned new in the class. It also brings closure to the 6 hour class. Lets me know what different things they have picked out and liked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back