Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to reinstall win 2000 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

domxp

Technical User
Feb 18, 2002
PL
I would like to completly remove my win 2000 and install it again. I have a 10GB hard disk in NTFS with system and my documents on it. I would like save the documents of course. I don't know how to remove system. I don't know whether win 2000's instalation disks will be able to read my NTFS disk and will not remove my documents (unnecessarily placed in My Documents :) ). Would you be so nice to give me some advices?

It is actually really simple .. you just need to make a copy of what you want to keep !!

By doing the following:

- Making an image of what you want to keep, and burning the
image afterwards.
(With a software like gost)
-->FOR INTERMEDIATE USER
- If the files you want to save do not exceed 10 Mb, you
can save them on a floppy.
(Use a software such as Winzip or Winace to zip the files
and put them on multiple diskets)
-->FOR BEGGINER TO INTERMEDIATE USER.
- If you have a burner, you may burn what you want to save.
-->FOR BEGGINER USER.
- Copy what you want to save onto an other computer.
-->FOR BEGGINER USER.
- Create an other partition with partition magic and copy
the info you would like to keep onto that partition. Then
you may format the unwanted partition.

Once the info you want to save is saved ... you just need to use a Win2k bootable CD, or boot disket (4 of them) and proceed with the installation. It will ask you if you want to format or reinstall over the existing version.

If you have anny other questions, let me know.

Dhalsims

Thank you for your advices!
The files which I want to save have about 5GB, so I'm in the process of organizing a second computer to store my files while I'm installing w2000pro.
By the way, where are those days when all you needed to do was to start from msdos, delete C:\Windows and C:\Program files...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back