Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to refresh backup jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TegR

MIS
Mar 14, 2003
CA
Do anyone know how do automaticaly refresh files and directory for backup jobs? Every time a file is created or deleted I have to edit the backup job to reflect the changes made. TIA

Everything underneath a completely filled 'green box'in the ARCserve source view will be automatically updated ( ie. filled green boxes are dynamic).
Everything underneath a half filled green box will not be automatically updated ( ie. half-filled green boxes are static ).
This is by design. Keep your sources as complete as possible and use filters for everything you don't want to backup.

hope I'm clear

regards

Cyklops, thanks for the reply.

Say I select to backup the whole C:\ drive (which will be filled green) but want to leave out one diretory. As soon as the unrequired directory is unselected, C:\ will be half-filled but the other directories are still filled. Is there any option or method to auto-refresh everything except for contents in that one unrequired directory?

Hi
The only way to refresh a job is to Modify the job everytime before
running your backup.

regards,
mohamdr

Mohamdr, I hope what you said isn't true, I need to run backup jobs every night! How about filters? I haven't seen the function available though.

Hi
This is the way it works and you shouldn't worry about deleted files because it won't effect your backup at all,
this is the way it has been designed.

regards,
mohmadr

You should select the drive fully. If there is information that you don't want to back up then use the filter option to exclude files/directories that you don't want. This will leave the backup as a dynamic and will backup any changes made

Think of it this way when the whole drive is selected everything on it is backed up regarless of how it changes.

When the view of the drive is expanded and something under it is not selected a snapshot of the directory tree as displayed is made. If anything new is added to that tree it will not be backed up and if anything is removed a message will be logged when it tries to backup that missing data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back