Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Record Office Greeting on the KX-TD816 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlex

Technical User
Dec 3, 2013
GB
Hi peoples.

I want to record a new greeting message on our office's KX-TD816 system. I have searched through the manual for instructions but the sections on recording a greeting only seem to work for recording an answer message or busy message for each individual phone line, rather than the initial office greeting. This is the first message a caller hears which offers them a choice of lines to connect to.

Any ideas would be very welcome! I'm completely confused by this.

We use KX-T7431 and KX-T7420 phones.

Many thanks
Dan

You have to log into the message manager's mailbox, 998, and record the custom service greeting that was programmed to play when people call your office.

Thanks 94astro. 9 is the outside line on our phones so dialing 998 just gets me a "this number has not been recognised" message.

How would I log in to the message manager's mailbox please?

Thanks again!
Dan

Call into the voicemail system (probably extension 165) and when it answers, dial #6*998. Then follow the voice prompts to get to the greeting you need to change. It might be a company greeting, custom service menu, or the auto attendant menu. Which one it is depends on the model of VPS you have and how it was configured at installation.

Hey TAinKC. Thanks for your answer.

I tried following your instructions. The voicemail number is 265 on our system but I don't understand when to dial #6*998. When it answers with the menu starting with "Press 1 to receive message" I try dialing #6*998 but I can hear the message continuing underneath and nothing changes so it doesn't sound like it is recognizing the number.

The menu I get when I dial 265 is below. I have included the 'Auto Attendant' and 'Other' sub-menu options too. None of them seemed to be what I want.

Any further ideas are greatly appreciated!

Many thanks
Dan

[ul]
[li]To receive message press 1[/li]
[li]To deliver message press 2[/li]
[li]Mailbox distribution press 3[/li]
[li]Auto Attendant Menu press 4[/li]
[ul]
[li]Call transfer status press 1[/li]
[li]Setup covering extension press 2[/li]
[li]Se message reception press 3[/li]
[li]Set Incomplete handling status press 4[/li]
[/ul]
[li]Mailbox Management press 5[/li]
[li]Other functions press 6[/li]
[ul]
[li]Message Waiting Notifcation press 2[/li]
[li]Static Call Forwarding press 4[/li]
[/ul]
[/ul]

Those options are for the individual extension's mailbox. You need to dial #6*998 to get into the manager's mailbox. Are you calling into the system from within the office or are you trying to do it remotely? They don't always recognize key presses over cell phones or VOIP lines.

I'm calling from within the office on a KX-T7431 phone.

I don't quite understand when to dial #6*998 ? You said previously to call into the voicemail first. But when I do that I get the menu listed above and dialing #6*998 at that point has no effect.

Thanks again. I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Dan

You can dial #6*998 at any time as long as you're connected to the voicemail and can hear the lady talking.

If the extension number for the VPS is 265, pick up the phone, dial 265 and wait for her to answer. Once you hear her say "enter your password followed by the pound sign" or "you have X new messages" (if you don't have a password) you can go ahead and dial #6*998.

If she says "enter your password followed by the pound sign" again after entering it, you need to enter the password for mailbox 998. If there is no password assigned to the mailbox she will just start reading the menu, where you can choose the appropriate greeting you want to change.

If you still can't figure this out, send me an email (website/email link is in profile) and I can try calling into your system remotely.

Thanks so much for this,. Finally found the correct menu. I haven't recorded a new message yet but found where it goes.

Excellent guidance!

For anyone else wondering. I got there this way:

Instructions below:
[ol 1]
[li]Dial 265 for voicemail menu[/li]
[li]As soon as the woman starts reading the menu dial #6*998[/li]
[li]Dial 5 for 'Modifying Message'[/li]
[li]Dial 3 for 'Change Department Menu'[/li]
[li]Record message after the tone[/li]
[li]When finished speaking press 1[/li]
[/ol]

That procedure may work on your system, but as I mentioned in my first reply to this post, you must remember that it can be totally different depending on how the VPS was configured at installation. The procedure listed above may not even work at all for some users. Any future viewers should keep this in mind.

Glad you got this sorted out...

guys do you know what's the code for PT programming on how to record Message Greeting on TDA 100d. please I really need help...

You should start a new thread for this...
but that setting is within the voicemail unit, not the system itself
You'll need to know what type of voicemail you have and how it was set up
It might be a company greeting, custom service menu, auto attendant menu or a combination that you need to change

Hello again! Happy new year.

Finally got round to recording the new message today. It recorded successfully and now when I access the 'Change Department Menu' option it plays back my new message. BUT when I call the number from another phone the old message still plays.

Is it possible that it takes some time to switch over? Otherwise I guess I'm not changing the correct greeting.

Any ideas as to which other greetings it could be?

Thanks again for your expert guidance.
Dan

No...it updates instantly. You'd have to be changing the wrong one.

No way to tell what type of greeting it might be as I don't know who installed your system and how they set it up. The way I do it 99% of the time is by using a combination of a company greeting and a custom service menu for each mode (i.e. day/night/lunch). It ends up being about 4 separate recordings in a typical system set up for different day/night menus.

Exception to this rule would be the TVS50 which doesn't have a company greeting (I don't know what type of VPS you have). Would recommend you get a tech in there to help you sort it out....or if you're comfortable doing so and have the correct software/cables, just default the system so you can start over and set it up the way you want.

has step-by-step instructions on VPS configuration

Thanks TAinKC.

Sounds like I need to get a technician in at this point.

Any recommendations for London based Panasonic technicians?

Thanks again
Dan

Hi Dan

have you sorted this problem out yet..
if not it might be that the recording you need to change is one of the custom service menus
& not the change department menu..
These start from custom service menu 1 when you are asked to enter number..
Hope this helps..

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back