Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to record an ongoing phone conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylim

Programmer
Dec 12, 2001
PH
I was able to use MSCOMM to dial a phone number field from a record.

Is it possible to record the conversation that resulted from this call?

Thanks in advance.

With VFP? I don't think so, unless you can automate an MP3 recorder [morning]

Not without a warrant ;-) Please let me know if the suggestion(s) I provide are helpful to you.
Sometimes you're the windshield... Sometimes you're the bug.
smallbug.gif

I dont see why not, if you can route the conversation to the windows built in sound recorder. you would need to trigger the sndrec32.exe and have the phone output plugged into the specified input port set in sndrec32.exe

you would then need to import the .wav into fox, but beware, wav generate something like 10mb per second of recording, depending on the sampling rate.

You have to have a modem card that is capable of capturing audio. One such card is the MediaPhonics PhoneRider ( which is the one we use here at work. We picked it up a couple years ago for $150.

My understanding is that a standard voice modem doesn't have what is needed to do it. It could just be that they do a poor job, though...it's been a couple years since I did the research.

In any case, keep in mind that it is ILLEGAL in the United States to record a telephone conversation without either first informing the other party or signaling the recording with an occasional beep. Consult a lawyer if you have ANY questions about that!

Ian

Oh yeah...another recommendation I can make is ExceleTel Teletools. This is the development package we picked up for use in doing automated callouts and accepting automated callin systems. They recommend the PhoneRider card, which is why we picked it up. Go to for details.

As for file size: a CD quality (16 bit 44khz Stereo) WAV file fills about 10MB per minute. Telephone quality is far lower, typically 8 bit 8-12khz mono. These files are MUCH smaller, typically measured in KB per minute.

Ian

Thanks for your replies!

CHPICKER AND BIGTROUTZ,

The modem I have is a CNET 56K internal modem. Its 'manual' says it's a data voice fax capable.

I tried commands (got them from AT command sets) such as AT#CLS=8 (supposed to enter voice mode), and others. I even tried to attach a line from its speaker output to the LINEIN of the sound card and tried recording but to no avail. Have any of you guys done it without the aid of 3rd party product?

Did your modem come with software? The software should include a "speakerphone" program that allows you to use a microphone and speakers instead of a standard telephone.

Theoretically, using this program to make and answer your phone calls, you should be able to use the passthrough to record conversations. I've never tried it. However, you have to use the speakerphone software...it won't work from an extension telephone.

Ian

if your modem sound-out will not route live conversations to your sound-card line-in, then you could purchase one of those 'headset' adapters that plug into the cable between the phone and it's handset, then plug this output into the sound card line-in instead of the headset. Point sndrec32.exe at the line-in port of your sound card and put a trigger to record in, and voila.

Ian writes. . . In any case, keep in mind that it is ILLEGAL in the United States to record a telephone conversation without either first informing the other party or signaling the recording with an occasional beep.

Ian that's not always true. "Like Tom Swayer's Cat, I've sat and that burner and it was hot!." (In some states as long as one party to the conversation is aware, it's legal.)

Naturally, there are exceptions to every rule in existence, hence my following sentence:

Consult a lawyer if you have ANY questions about that!

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back