Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to reconnect phone/set to port and extension 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

thabrock

MIS
Aug 31, 2006
US
At our office we have a Nortel MICS system and we move personnel around from office-to-office, so Auto-set relocation makes sense for us

Recently, while testing some new phone jacks, my M7310 phone set lost it's Auto-set relocation information.

I have been told that the best way to reconnect it is to reconnect my set to the port on the phone system that has your extension.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with some directions on how to do this.

login to the phone system
feature**xxxxxx
password xxxxxx
navigate back word to maitenance

port/dn
find your ext (DN)
it will show you which port it is on

Okay, so I found my port/DN. It is:

PORT = P0308
DN = 205

What should I do next? Across the bottom of the display it says:

DEVICE >B2 STATE

and they seem to correlate with the three buttons below the display, should I select one of those?

You can push device just to see if there is a phone already on that port, if not it will say none. You really need to find Port 0308 on your amphenol cable from your switch and cross connect your station cable to this port. You then should have the button programming you had before. With set relocation, you really need to move these one at a time, otherwise you can lose your programming as the ports get confused if you try to move too many at once. move one let it sink up then move another, not multiple sets at the same time.

Money may not buy you happiness, but in MLB it buys you CHAMPIONSHIPS. (27 and counting). MLB,stands for Major League Baseball for you slower Boston Fans!

as yankeenation said, first, check to see if there is a phone connecetd to port 308
you can do that in programming
you can also check the physical port in the room where the phone system is installed to see if port 308 is cross connected somewhere
most likley it is connected to the wall jack in your old office

you need to know the wall jack number in your new office(wall jack at your new office where the phone is presently conneceted)
you need to trace that number to your bix panel in the room where you have the phone system installed
then cross connect it to port 308

Thanks for the great info guys, I'm learning a lot.

First, when I push "DEVICE" it says "NONE."

Now, here's a little clarification on how I think this happened and the current state of things:

I am still at my old jack/station. I was only using my phone set to test, one-by-one, new jacks from the 0x16 expansion module we installed.

For the first few tests auto-set relocation worked fine, but at the third jack the wire accidentally disconnected from my phone set before sync finalized, which is what I believe what caused the problem.

Since no device is attached to Port 0308, is there a way to program Port 0308 to point to my phone or will I still need to do it through patching?

you need to find out the port number your jack is cross connected to
then you login to programming ... maintenance, Port/dn
find out which dn is assigned to this port
check the device, most likly it will be disabled, change it to and it will detect your phone
after that , go to system programming
change dn from the assigned DN to your old dn

or
you need to cross connect port 0308 to your old jack

then go to Port / dn
and check if the system see the phone
desactivated / activated

Thanks Serge... I think I'm almost there!

My current Port/DN is:
Port 0108
DN 222
Device is 7310

So now all I need to do is change the DN from the assigned DN to my old DN.

Will this return the programming to my phone set, including all programmed buttons and incoming lines or will they need to be redone?

Okay, so I can tell you that change DN did not retain programming, can I copy the programming of another phone set/DN that has the same incoming lines and access that I need? If so, can someone briefly explain how to do it?

Under terminals/sets heading enter extension, you should have a copy button available.

Thank you all! I am back to normal and I learned a lot more about programming than I previously knew; I knew some basics but was scared I might mess up the system if I attempted to do too much more without help.

Your expertise and guidance was invaluable and much appreciated!

Whoops, spoke too soon...

I am "mostly" back. The final programming issue I have is that my DiD no longer points to my extension.

My DiD on our PRI points to my extension, but it must have been port related because now when I call my DiD from outside I get a "Call can not be completed as dialed." error. All other DiD's to our users works.

Should I start a new thread on this or can one of you help on this?

Thanks!

I am not sure how exactly to do that. Also, once I check the target line, will I need to set the target line. Any instructions would be much apreciated.

Thanks.

Okay, my DiD is LINE 156, currently LINE 151 is coming in on my Direct Line input.

I need to change the input on my incoming line from LINE 151 to LINE 156.

Nevermind, I found it. Went to Terminals&Sets, then to my DN/Set, Line access, Then Line Assignment set 151 to UNASSIGNED and 156 to Appr&Ring.

Done. Back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back