Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to reclaim disk space after upgrade to XPpro from 98se

Status
Not open for further replies.

diulasing

Technical User
May 10, 2003
CA
Hi there,
Just up-graded my P3-600 from 98se to XP pro 2002. I even download SP2 into it. Everything goes without problem. Only thing is that my 15G C:drive is running out of space. When it is 98, it had almost 11G free space. Now it shows only 4G free.
I went in there to delete all folders and files I can find that looks double. All I can get back is another G.
Please advise on how to get back more free space.

john Sr

It depends, what is this system used for?

Is this a physical drive (15Gb) or a partition? If it is a partition there is free software to extend it, however from the tone of your post I will assume it is a 15Gb HD.

1st Step
Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup Wizard.

2nd Step
Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs
Uninstall anything not required or used regularly

3rd Step
Buy another hard drive :)

I have witnessed horrendous results upgrading from anything Pre-W2k to XP and would not recommend it to anyone. If I was you, I would backup all files, purchase another (larger) Hard Disk then clean reinstall xp on existing HD and use your new disk for all your Applications and User Files.

There are other advantages to this setup, where your files are separated from the system partition.

Daniel.

Its a partition of a 30G drive, still has FAT32. Does that make any different ? better to converted to NTFS ?
Some Programs in there although rearly used, but handy.
Deleted all games and such.
I heard all kinds of stories but nothing about filling up a partition.
Data are in other partition, size does not seem to change.
Also does one power user and a guest user make any different in C: ?

Run the Disk Cleanup tool and use the "More Options" tab to remove all but the most recent restore point.

You don't really want Restore Points going back too far as they will more than likely uninstall all programs or settings you have changed since your "go back point" causing you more problems than it may fix.

The average restore point is 25mb+ with a "first in, first out" policy on restore points. They contain mainly deleted or altered exe, dlls, shortcuts and a registry backup and user profile details. They do not contain users data.

Keeping restore points for a week seems adequate. Amount of disk space used depends on the size of your restore points. Some restore points can be as large as 500mb after major alterations to a system (ie a new service pack or several hefty program installs, or running SFC /Scannow).

310312 - Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP

308008 - How to Remove the Windows XP Uninstallation Files

Do you use Hibernation? If not turn it off to save 500+MB.

How to Remove Windows XP Service Pack 1 Folders

More On Cleaning Out Old "Service Pack" Folders

Defrag too.

Thanks guys, managed to re-claim a couple more Gs.
Maybe after a few more weeks when all drivers are up-dated than I can get more space back.
Thanks once again.

partion magic 8 try that u might get it all back if you work on it!!!

It's the same each time with progress. First they ignore you, then they say you're mad, then dangerous, then there's a pause and then you can't find anyone who disagrees with you.

If you did an actual upgrade of 98 to XP, you might be better off starting again - backing up and doing a clean install - then just install what you actually now use. Apart from anything else, it will be more stable than upgraded system.

Also, you can create a slipstreamed SP2 install CD - so you save all the space associated with installing a service pack -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back