Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to reach the server through routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
This is not a Win2k Server question per se, but you might be able to help me anyway. I have a home network with 2 PCs(win2k pro) and 1 laptop(winXP). The two PCs are connected to a Linksys Cable/DSL Router which is connected, of course, to a cable modem. Another router, a wireless station, is connected to the first router with a cable, and the laptop is connected to the wireless router. They are all in the same workgroup and set to "IP automatically assigned". From any computer I can go to the Internet, but from the laptop I cannot see the other PCs or vice versa. I can ping to the PCs from the laptop successfully, but My Network Places don't show them. Setting DNS on the laptop to the Linksys's router address did not make any differences. What did I do wrong? Thank you.

[Cable Modem]
|
[Router]---[Wireless Router]....[PC3]
| |
| |
[PC1] [PC2]

1- Do you have a router or a hub??
2- Make sure that they are all using clients for microsoft network!

give me more details Knowledge is the first step to Greatness!!!

GeniuS22,

1. One is Linksys DSL/Cable Router w/4 ports and the other SMC's Wireless DSL/Cable Router w/4 ports.
2. The PCs and laptop are all using Clients for Microsoft Network.

These two routers are working as DHCP servers. When I disabled DHCP on the wireless router (which is connected to a port on Linksys router), thinking I would need only one DHCP server, the laptop got no IP address assigned. So, now they are both DHCP servers. I didn't set DNS on either routers or PCs, as I thought the default setup of the routers would take care of resolving DNs. I set every drive on PCs sharable by everybody. I rebooted them, but with no avail. As I said, the PCs and laptop all can access the Internet. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

you may be getting two different subnets from the DHCP in each router. Check the IP,s that are assigned to each of the machines, Command prompt| ipconfig /all For all machines to get a IP from the Linksys router your Wireless router will need to be a dhcp relay. Being able to ping all addresses from any address points to a Name resolution problem. You may need to setup a LMHOSTS file on each machine to give NETBIOS (WINS) resolution

1. disable dhcp on wireless router
2. Using a crossover cable connect one of the switch ports on the wireless router to one of the switch ports on the other router (the wireless router will then become only a switch)

At this point the "wireless" network will receive DHCP addresses from the "wired" network. those addresses will be on the same range as those on the "wired" and need not be routed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back