Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to "read" very large files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

papadba

MIS
Jun 26, 2009
US
We often receive files that are too large to open with notepad, wordpad, etc.

At several places i've supported, there was proprietary code that did not need to open the entire file at the start. It opened some small amount and then allowed one to scroll forward thru the data.

Is anhyone aware of anything that comes with Windows or is freeware/shareware that can handle very large files without reading the entire file first?

What do you want to do with the files? If the file is that big, I assume you're not going to read it yourself.

Cheers,
Dian

What do you want to do with the files? If the file is that big, I assume you're not going to read it yourself."
I need to be able to read pieces of the file (in hex) to see how the file is build (which control characters are embedded, if any). Typically, i need the first several records and maybe a few deeper into the file.

EditpadLite (free) does not work with files greater than 2gig. At a quick glance, i did not notice a way to show the data in hex.

I use list.exe from the Windows server 2003 resource kit for the purpose of reading/dumping files. It has hex dump and search capabilities and is small and quick.

The resource kit is free and also contains a number of other very useful utilities. Details and download here:

Brgds
Jock

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Have downloaded some and have new "opportunities" . . .

In the resource kit, how might see the data in hex? I quickly looked at the f1 help, but it didn't jump out at me.

Also, is anyone familiar with a utility that will allow one to copy file and insert one or 2 characters after every n bytes? One issue with the data currently being attempted is that the entire file looks like one huge record. Due to bickering, the senders do not want to change the file and send it again . . .

Still Checking . . . .

Downloaded notepad++ and it says the file is too big to open.

Bummer.

Still hopin' for a utility that will allow me to copy their file and add cr/lr so thr transmission will work . . .

Have you looked at SPFLite. as long as it can read the file you can vie in hex mode - just like ISPF. Except it has many more editing commands than ISPF! You can also specify what EOL characters are used or if it has fixed length records. Whatever, it is free for personal use (although contributions are requested) so you can download and evaluate it.

Nic

In list.exe, to get hex display use alt-H, then you can hit F1 to get 3 different hex display formats.

Brgds
Jock

Did you consider splitting files to work with them?
No, largely because this needs to be a single-file transfer with no intervention on the receiving system.

In list.exe, to get hex display use alt-H,
Does the program have a sequence to show the processing options (i.e. alt-H and others). Will list.exe permit editint?

Have you looked at SPFLite.
I now have it installed but have not mastered using it. I don't particularly relate to the screen layout and the Help seem ok if you already know how to use it. Just not, I'm trying to edit a file . . .[dazed] What I want to do is change each occurrence of a x'0A' to some other character(s).

I do appreciate all of the help!

Do you have enough ram in you PC? Is your hard drive almost filled up? I'm saying it might be hardware related...

You might try this editor:

An old editor might work in win7, designed for big files:

Another old editor that would read the entire hard disk was AEdit
From IBM it was as far as I remember.
DOS of course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back