Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to quick-erase a tape in a library before a job starts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuz

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2002
US
I'm running Arcserve2000 sp4 on win2k server. I have a Sony AIT/3 library and would like to do a quick-erase on only the first tape in the library before the start of my backup jobs. I have a taperase.bat file (tapetest -d1 -z)that I use on another server that has only one tape drive, but I don't know if this would work with my library as I don't want it to erase all of the tapes. How would I place this in the "pre" option of the job?
Thanks!
[bigears]
Steve

Well, I found the chgtest.exe utility, put it into a batch file and tested OK! The only issue I have now is that I don't see an option for the kind of erase to do. I usually like doing a "quick erase plus". Please let me know if you know how to select the type of erase in the chgtest utility.
Thanks!
[bigears]
Steve

This is from someone else:

Batch File to Erase tape before job runs:

I wrote a little batch file called taperase.bat which I run manually to erase all our 8 drives prior to backup. You use the TAPETEST utility within the ARCserve directory. Just change to ARCSERVE/ARCSERVEIT and look for TAPETEST.EXE. If it's there, enter TAPETEST at the command prompt and you'll see all the switches.
Basically, the command I use is:
TAPETEST -z -m2 -d5
TAPETEST -z -m2 -d6
And repeat down to -d12
This does a quick erase plus on devices 5 thru 12.
You need to go to the Device Screen to find out the device IDs. Note that if you have an array, you need to specify each device separately and will have to encapsulate the multiple TAPETEST commands into a batch file which you can set to kick off prior to the backup job in the Pre/Post options. Bit of a pain but it should be possible.
We run weekend backups as well on Fri, Sat and Sun nights, which is why we use the manual utility - it only gets run when we're here to change the tapes! Fri, Sat and Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back