Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Quantify Benefit of Upgrade from Cat5 to Cat6

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcaDan

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2008
US
I recently took over IT management at an architecture firm where users generate renderings and regularly interface with centrally stored 3d architectural models. Our switches are all managed gigabit HP procurves, and all users have gigabit cards in their PCs. In the newer portions of the office (we're in an old building), Cat5e runs from the local switches to wall jacks (with Cat5e patch cables from jacks to NICs).

But the surprise to me was that all of the home runs from the server room switch to local switches are Cat5. From everything I've learned about cabling (which admittedly is still fairly little), we are doing ourselves a disservice by not having at least Cat5e or Cat6 running between switches.

I need to make the case to management to justify the expense of running new cable, but found myself unsure of the exact benefit that a user would notice. I presume that opening or saving large files, the improvement would be most obvious. But would a user notice an improvement, for example, in the time it takes for Outlook to open (when not in Cached Exchange Mode, requiring the Exchange headers to sync at the start of every session)? Would the improvement for either example be a magnitude of 10 or something smaller?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

(Closest reference I could find was thread575-1329982 but that was differentiating Cat6 from Cat5e)

If I were looking at upgrading the connections from edge devices back to my distribution and core then I wouldn't even begin talking about copper. If you want to justify the change to your management and if your switches are capable of it then you want to have fiber installed.

Look at the error rates on the cat5 runs. You should be able to see this in the management interface on the switches. If you see excessive error rates on the cat5 runs that is your case to management. Excessive error rates cause all sorts of bizarre and difficult to trace network problems.

While not recommended I have seen cat5 running gigabit traffic without problem.

If you do decide to replace the cat5 you might want to consider fiber between switches in a backbone type configuration.

I agree that your best performance would be gained if you go with a fiber up-grade,and it will handle most projected up-grades for computer systems in the for seeable future.
(I would advise you to use the 50 micron fiber)

It will handle your gig and 10 gig speeds and it will not have any performance problems and not be bound by the same distances as confines as Cat6,Cat5E,Cat5e,or Cat5. (which at shorter distances seem to handle the gig speed (but only the Cat6 will do the 10 gig)

Good Luck,

Has been in the cabling business for about twenty years and is now the Sr PM for a cabling company located in the Los Angeles area.
Also a General Class Amatuer Radio Operator.

Hi Jumbopalmer,

Correctly installed Cat 5 is rated to 1 gig to 100 meters, but has not been a standard since 2001.
Correctly installed Cat 5e is rated to 1 gig to 100 meters and is a current standard.
Correctly installed Cat 6 is rated to 1 gig to 100 meters, and 10 gig to 55 meters and is a current standard.
Correctly installed Cat 5 is rated to 10 gig to 100 meters and is a current standard.

Im presuming the bottom one is a typo? Is it Cat7?

LEEroy
MCNE6,CCNP,CWNA,CCSA,Project+

Darn, I swear I checked that. Oh Well, I should have said:

Correctly installed Cat 6A is rated to 10 gig to 100 meters and is a current standard.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Cool, did`nt know there was a Cat 6A standard.

p.s sorry for spelling your name wrong!

Lee

LEEroy
MCNE6,CCNP,CWNA,CCSA,Project+

I should have put 6A cable (and patch panels/cords rated for the same)for the 10 gig on my comment above.

Thanks for reminding me.

Has been in the cabling business for about twenty years and is now the Sr PM for a cabling company located in the Los Angeles area.
Also a General Class Amatuer Radio Operator.

Cool, did`nt know there was a Cat 6A standard."
only ratified in Feb 2008, so it is new to all of us.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

So many things happen or should happen in theory but a true indicator of what needs to be done will come from a network analysis. Gigabit cards in workstations may be overkill because it's almost impossible for a pc to put that kind of traffic on a network. I have usually found that bottlenecks are on the server side as opposed to the infrastructure side. Your money is best spent on switch to switch connectivity in the form of Cat6 or fiber for distance.

Great advice from all.
Justification.... for copper....
Take the area using most of the server resource (by % throughput - usually 2-3 graphics users) and plan to plumb it with CAT6A

Take network statistics before and after. Sold.

Fiber is just "way too cool" and should be left to rich experts like Oldtimerbob. Seriously, I tried punching down those itty-bitty fibers on a CAT6 jack and ....disaster!

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

"Never settle for a job well done...always look for cost cutting measures

Buitenhek,

You just reminded me of a story I want to share.

I was deployed to Qatar with the USAF back in 04. I was working inside plant over there in a shop of like 5 guys. One day we were just swamped with jobs so an older TSgt decided to try and knock out a job for us. Well it was to terminate a 50 pr cable that was recently installed to a new construction building. So he goes out there with a tool bag and gets all set up. He mounts the 66 block and start measuring out and routing his cable. He goes to strip the cable back and then we hear him on the radio asking what kind of cable it is. We are like what are you talking about, it should be a 50 pr cable. So I go out there as he is adamant that something is wrong. It turns out he had routed and stripped the fiber and was trying to figure out how to punch it down. The 50 pr was still under the floor tile. We all had a good chuckle until we told him he was now going to have to help Cable Maintenance pull new fiber in!

Ha.
I actually pulled that on the Lucent rep in San Diego many years ago and he just looked at me like my dog when she hears a funny noise.

Thanks for your service to our country.

Much success in the upcoming year.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

"Never settle for a job well done...always look for cost cutting measures

If you would like to improve the performance of your network and still be budget minded then replace the copper (like some have recommended to you) by replacing it with fiber. After all, it is the one thing that has been constant in our area. The 50 micron has been around forever and still works fine for most applications. You could install single mode andit would be good for longer than most of us will be around.

Just my thoughts..

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

We recently installed CAT6 in a dormitory on a college campus here in PA, both the voice and data were Berk-Tek Lanmark 2000. I thought this was a little overkill for a dorm but they can implement a 10 gig speed with this infrastructure. The problem with Cat5 on gig is that packets will be lost in high data transmissions when dumping files from what I gather. I am certified Bicsi cabling infrastructure installer/technician, so cabling is my scope. Keep in mind that if you do upgrade go with a high end 6 like Lanmark 2000, the price may be a little more but you will save in the long run. Another thing to remember is the hardware in your IDF/MDF, you will not be able to use your patch panels and all of your patch cables will need to be replaced. For savings you could order your own patch cables at various "measured lenghts" to make your install look professional. Make sure you get test results and a warranty. Example, Berk-Tek/Ortronics, Commscope/Siemons. If you intend to spend the money do not short change yourself, these warranties are no extra but give you 25 plus years on your horizontal install. Not a bad time to do this as material prices are sinking also, copper being the main one. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back