Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to put VB Installation Setup file in one link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauldeg

Technical User
Nov 24, 2002
AU
Hi,

I have build a VB6 program that I want to put on my Web portal. The objective is that users can click on one link and the program installs it selves, and starts up.
I use the setup kit to create a set up file (setup.exe setup.lst and program.cab). I could modify setup1.vbp in such a way that it installs the program, starts it and closes the setup file. The problem is that it doesn't work via the website but only from a local drive. Setup.exe is the boottrap which installs setup1 and the cabfiles.
My href link in my web page refers to setup.exe. Unfortunately I cannot modify setup.exe (which comes with the kit), so it cannot find setup.lst and hence comes with an error. I noticed a web deployment but the wizard didn't let me chose it.
Any one with a solution? May be a cgi-bin script that loads and installs the files, and executes the setup.exe?

Thanks,

Paul

Actually you can modify the setup routine/program. If you look at program files\microsoft visual studio\vb98\wizards\pdwizard\, you will find the setup program that the P&D wizard uses (Please make a copy first before you try to modify this).

Although I would not suggest in trying to modify this project to accomplish what you want. GoTo MS web site and download their installer. This should have the options you want.

Good Luck

You can use Visual Studio Installer or Innosoft Installer to create a single installation exe.

Jyotiraditya Rath

Thanks Guys!

But....I'm not completely there. I downloaded and installed the Visual Studio installer. It creates 1 installation file but it is huge (870k) for a 40K file and it cannot launch the exe file after it is downloaded. Any suggestions?
Back to the previous setup kit approach. The setup file is 135K and I modified setup1 via the supplied vbproject, so it launches the exe file after installation.
However the bootstraploader setup.exe searches for setup.lst and assumes that it is in the same dir (not on a website, what I want). I cannot modify the bootstrap setup.exe because this is not included in the vbp. May be somebody knows how I can obtain the vb code for this bootstrap loader? Can I skip the bootstrap setup.exe by modifying setup1.exe?
May be the only other option is to pkzip the files in a exe file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back