Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to put 2 NICs in one XP machine and share LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscarb

Technical User
Apr 26, 2004
US
I am on a LAN. I would like to put two NICs into one XP Pro machine (a host) and have another XP Pro machine (a client) connect to the LAN (Internet) through that host machine. I have tried a bunch of things, i.e., crossover cable, turning off firewalls, etc. But I cannot quite get it. I have created a dummy static IP address for the 2nd NIC and the client, also. But I have no indication that this helped in any way. Thanks for any and all help.

Also. When I Clear History on Internet Explorer, it seems like there are two "gears", first and second. The first time I click Clear History, I get a rather quick clear. If I immediately click Clear History again, it seems to do a deeper, longer clear. Is this just a fluke, or does it really function like that?

I've used this method for connecting two pc's to the internet before. I set everything to Obtain an IP Automatically, then shared the NIC on the Host machine that is connected to the internet (control panel, network connections, properties, advance, internet connection sharing). Then run the network setup on the client machine and tell it to connect to the internet via another machine. reboot both machines and it should, hopefully work

"Experience is the result of failure

Thanks guys. Lurky, do you use a crossover cable to connect the two computers? Bcastner, on your link there are some warnings. One in particular:

WARNING #2: Don't enable ICS if any computer in your network is configured as a domain controller, DHCP server, or DNS server. Don't enable it if another computer is running ICS or Network Address Translation (NAT).

This kind of shoots me down. I wonder what will happen if I go ahead given that there is a domain controller, a DHCP server, and a DNS server running on my LAN (but not on this particular subnet).

I will give you hints as to how to resolve this, but I warn you that if I found you doing this on one of my LANs without authorization you would be dismissed:

If I was in a good mood, there are other ways to sort this issue maybe, depending on what exactly you are trying to do.

Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back