Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Pull Related Data from One Excel Worksheet to Another 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zinderellie

Technical User
Oct 28, 2002
US
Hi There,

I have been given a task to pull related data from one worksheet to populate another worksheet, and I am using the same column headings.

First I had to identify parts in a current file that were not in an older file to create a new exception list. Now I need to grab some of the related data in corresponding cells of the current file to populate the exception list.

What is the easiest way to do this? I have both worksheets in the same file.

I am working in Excel 2003.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Zinderellie

Hi,

Use a LOOKUP function like VLOOKUP.

Skip,
[sup][glasses]Don't let the Diatribe...
talk you to death![tongue][/sup][sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Thanks a bunch Skip!! VLOOKUP worked like a charm.

Have a fabulous day! =)

One thing to be careful of when using VLOOKUP (or HLOOKUP) is proper use of the 4th parameter. The formula only requires the first three params, but if the fourth param is omitted, the default value can cause unexpected results. I see this mistake often.

The fourth parameter, Range_lookup, specifies whether you want to lookup an exact match, or just the closest match.

If you omit this fourth parameter, the default value of TRUE is used. That says that if your Lookup_value is not found in your range of cells, then return the value in column Row_index_num for the closest match to your Lookup_value. If, however, you only want to return info when there is an exact match, specify a value of FALSE. When using FALSE, if an exact match is not found in your array of values, then #N/A is returned.

Hi smallia,

The formula I found does use the FALSE parameter, so my results are what I expected.

This is the formula I used - VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,range_lookup)

Where you see "range_lookup", I replaced with "FALSE".

Thanks for adding to this post. I'm certain it will greatly help the next person with a similar question.

Have a wonderful day!
Zin =)

"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it.
If you can dream it, you can become it." -William Arthur Ward-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back