Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to publish Windows Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

APlant

Technical User
Aug 2, 2001
GB
Hello,
I'm looking for some advice. The Citrix configuration is XP1.0 FR2 running on Windows 2000 SP3.
All the applications (Office, etc) are via Published applications, the desktop is not provided to anyone other the the local admins.
In order for users to see their home and shared drives we created a published application that opened up to their shared drive (Explorer). This works OK. However the users now want to search so we have enabled this in the GPO.
Since we did this, whenever a user searches the full desktop is provided to the user and they have to logout to close it down.It seems that when they click search, Windows Explorer is launched and the deskptop is started.
Two questions really, one is how can I stop this and the second questions is can I publish the search option as an application.

Many thanks

Haha. Yes I have pondered that many a time too and I have a solution.

Do not publish explorer.exe this will launch a desktop everytime (hurrrumphhhh). however .......

Copy explrer to eplr.exe or something else whatever you like. and publish that. You can eve publish "explr.exe p:" and that will launch explorer to their p drive.

this one had me going through hoops I even tried writting a VB program to do it and the answer was so simple really.
[blush]

That is what we have done. We have copied explorer.exe to explorer2.exe and published it. No problem.

Thanks for the replies. I will try what you suggest. Howver, I have a horrible feeling that I may have configured things this way already! For example I have set a shared drive to open up when they run the published app.

Hello,
I have tried what you suggested. I no longer have the full desktop appear however I still cannot search.
If I select the search explorer bar I can search OK. However, the users like to right click on a folder and search. When I do this (e.g. right click to search on the y drive) another Explorer windows opens (which is an improvement on the full desktop!) which points to the users 'my documents'. In the background is an error saying 'y:\ the system cannot find the device specified'.

Any ideas. I'd be interested to know your full configuration since you have this working.

Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back