Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to publish multiple website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny5888

Programmer
Aug 18, 2003
GB
I am trying to run multiple websites on my own web server.

I have three registered domain names let’s just say
1. myname.org
IP address: 215.152.8.151

2. myname.com
IP address: 215.152.8.152

3. myothername.com
IP address: 200.100.8.160

My settings:

Ip TCP Port Host Header name
All unassigned 80
215.152.8.152 81 myname.com
215.152.8.152 82 myothername.com

Windows 2000 advanced server
Domain name: sales.myname.org
Full Computer name: ABC.sales.myname.org

I have successfully forwarded my domain names to my web server and ‘myname.org’ is working perfectly.

now outside world can browse only browse “myname.org’ but I want to add other 3 websites as well. If I type my ip address in to browser myname.com page is working but If I type the name myname.com then that is showing ‘myname.org’s default page Why?

So now I need to know how to run both ‘myname.com’ and ‘myothername.com’ on the same web server.

Could you any one help me

Thanks in advance

Jonny

You need to create 'virtual web servers' so that the server doesn't just serve from the default directory. I've only done this in Apache and so I wouldn't know how to in IIS but I'm sure that somebody can help.

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Of cource yes Virtual Servers is the solution but As on that article I created 2 new sites:

As explained on the article... I tried the same, but unfortchunatly they didn't explain how to configure the Virtual Server... they say to check chapter three, ok I will buy the book but I am a little bit urgent.. does any one have any idea? please note If I type in the IP adress in the browser then it takes me to my site, but if I type in my actual domain name, it takes me to my default site which is connected to port 80, I would appreciate it if any one comes forward with some ideas

If you read the full article it does explain how to do this ...

<snip>

To create a virtual server using the Microsoft Management Console, right-click on the physical IIS server (the icon looks like a small computer) to which you would like to add a virtual server. From the shortcut menu that appears, select New, Web Site. The New Web Site Wizard will appear (see Figure 5-8). Click Next to begin the wizard. Enter a friendly name to describe the Web site (this name will appear beside the virtual server's node in the MMC) and click Next (see Figure 5-9).

Use the drop-down box to select an available IP address from the IP addresses bound to your server or select All Unassigned if you wish this virtual server to be your new default Web site (see Figure 5-10).

NOTE: Be sure to select an IP address not already used by another virtual server or by your default Web site. If you select an IP address that is already in use, the New Web Site Wizard will not indicate any error at this point, but when you try to start the virtual server afterward, a dialog box will appear with the message, &quot;A duplicate name exists on the network,&quot; and you will be unable to start the virtual server.

Similarly, if the existing default Web site has &quot;All Unassigned&quot; as its IP address (see the Web Site tab on the Default Web Site Properties sheet), and you try to assign the same value &quot;All Unassigned&quot; as the IP address for your new virtual server, you will receive an error message when you try to start your virtual server: &quot;The service could not be started because it is not correctly configured. Make sure that its server bindings do not conflict with other sites running on the same machine.&quot;

</snip>

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back