Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Protect From Static Discharge on Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2004
US
At my company recently we have had two incidents were the users have touched their IBM thinkpads and fried the motherboards, screens, keyboards, NIC, etc. Pretty much every device is game for being destroyed. There are two offices that have had this problem recently. We have had electricians come and check the electrical but have found nothing wrong. We have added sometime of surge protection but to no avail.

The problem always happens from a static build and then the user touches the laptop and destroys another device on it. What can we do to help prevent this problem in these two offices. Are their protection devices that you can get on laptops to stop static discharge? Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

I've never heard of that happening. Try contacting IBM to find out a reason why? Aside from making everyone where anti-static wrist straps all day (they make/made cordless ones) I don't know how you'd remedy that one.

Static build-up can result from many things. I assume from what you say that the users have actually felt the static charge. Had any changes in your building recently? New carpetting or furniture? Airconditioning or heating system turned up higher than usual and drying out the atmosphere more than normal? Humidifier not working? Even a change in office maintenance procedures, different cleaning products used etc., could induce more static charges.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Probably a combination of chair and clothing. In the low humidity of winter I regularly reboot machines on a test bench if I get up rapidly from the chair nearby and touch the the metal of the case on the machine without first discharging through the nearby grounding strap.

There are sprays you can use on furniture fabric and rugs. There are dissipation mats you can put under the laptop. But there is nothing going to work until the users develop the habit of discharging themselves. Make it easy for them and it probably will help.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Are all those users wearing synthetic wigs?
I would advise a grounded(thru 1 meg ohm resistor) anti static mat for the work stations.
Is there a radio transmitter antenna on the building next door?

What about the basics? I dont think you replied to the question.
For instance, what about putting a low-tech humidifier in and getting the humidity up? That alone should do the job if its air-related static electricity.
I keep the humidity level up in my home for good health reasons and for the computers as well, keep it around 40 and its a win\win situation. Before i retired i did the same in my office as well.

If there is other than commercial carpeting you could replace it with either commercial carpeting or tile, which would be better. Still, just the humidifier should do the job, unless its already humid there.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Thanks for all the responses fellas, we have recently had these ESD problems with two of our users although the more severe case where the user has destroyed and upwards of 8 or more laptops has kept everybody in my department scratching their heads. The dissipation mat is a good idea, also the humidifier. These particular users have laptops no desktop system involved. They actually do feel the static discharge after they've touched the laptop. The more severe case that we are having I don't think the user is releasing any ESD himself to the laptop, an electrical surge is coming from somewhere else in his office. Very strange indeed we are still searching for answers.

What about carpeting. Do you have carpeting there?

You might try the spray. But it is possible that you will need to change the carper.
But then again, specifying that those 2 offices have a dress code that requires shoes that don't generate a static charge might work. Or hire Japanese or Pakastani, whose cultural backgrounds do not frown on being shoeless inside.

Ed Fair

Carpetting is a major source of static electricity and, together with low relative humidity, i would call that a time bomb!
That would be the first thing i would do, the low-tech method. Check the current humidity level, for that you go to walmart and buy a gadget that will do that, usually comes with a thermometer, thats what i have in my house.
If the humidity is low thats likely your problem right there. I dont know where you live so i am guessing here!
But, walking across a carpeted room in a low humidity environment is a cause for concern as mentioned above.

Get the humidity to over 30%, closer to 40% and lose the carpeting. There might be something that can be sprayed on the carpeting to eliminate static charges. Best thing to do on that might be to call carpet cleaning people and ask, but double check any advice you get there for sure, lol.
Reminds me of the story of how they sell you stain-resistance like scoth-guarding. If you get the watered-down version you get nothing, if you get the proper stuff then it will work. Pays to have a friend in that business!

I didnt see Edfairs post before i posted, lol!!

When i mentioned getting the device to check on the humidity levels, i should have pointed out that you can ask those people to wear running shoes or something that wont produce static eletrical charges from the carpeting.
Barefeet would work, lol!!
Stocking feet likely wouldnt work, especially nylon socks, or nylons, and i dont think even pure cotton socks would do it either, but running shoes would, i believe, stand to be corrected there.

Long ago there was carpet that was made for computer applications. This in the age of early mainframes. I don't know if it is still available.
The carpet and upholstry spray was from the same time frame.

Humidity is one answer but I'm not certain that it is achievable in a large office without some negative issues.

I think there were static free chair mats. If you can find one it might be worth a try.

Ed Fair

I achieved good humidity, enough to eliminate static electricity in my office, dont see where it could cause problems unless a person went overboard, but that would be going well over the 40% mark, which, i believe is a basic standard, between 30% and 40% I believe i have read, or heard, or both.

I would also check the power outlets in those areas to see if they are wired up properly. You can use or multimeter or easier still is a little thing that you plug into the outlet and it shows if it is wired up correctly. Building inspectors use them.

I believe he stated that that has been done,i.e. an electrician has been in.

Yes the electrician has been called several times to look at this issue. They don't find any problems with the office. It's very strange.

Where is the location, city or state?

Should be enuf humidity there, but i dont know for sure.
In any event, relative humidity should be between 30% and 40%, and, below 20% will cause bad static electricity!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back