Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to properly wipe data from a BCM50 before donating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob1974

IS-IT--Management
Jul 16, 2012
US
We recently upgraded our system from a BCM50 to an IP Office. I would like to donate the old BCM system. Before I do that, I have to make sure I have all voicemails completely and irreversibly erased from the system. I know that I can remove the internal hard drive and wipe it, but I'd like to hand off the system in a usable condition.

The system is no longer in service, but I have the current password and can access everything through a crossover cable to the unit. I have already retrieved the license.txt file from the unit, per instructions on this forum. Is the best way to prepare this unit to do the level 2 reset and then reenter the code from the bottom of the license.txt file? Does this actually wipe the voicemails or can they be recovered?

Also, are all the licenses contained in the single 24 digit keycode in the bottom of the license.txt file or is there anything else I need to be sure and backup before I reset anything?

Thanks for any insight!

Using the L2 reset would erase all software updates and patches from the system. To reset just the configuration and user data, you should do a L1 reset. Both the L1 and L2 reset clears voice mail messages (I am not sure about the reversibly of the removal).

You need the entire license file (not just the signature at the bottom).

You can do a factory reset within the element manager
Do a restore and select FACTORY

This will erase everything
You can then put back the licence file

The system will be ready to be reprogrammed from scratch.

If you just want to remove voice mail only then do a reinstall of the call pilot

feature 982
Enter default password
Press 9
Type reinstall

Press yes when prompted

This will erase voicemail only
[2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back