Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Print with Terminal Services 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkirkaero

IS-IT--Management
Jul 30, 2003
US
We use our ERP system via Citrix Metaframe over Terminal Services.

Because we have concurrent licenses we value the ability to properly timeout idle sessions.

Our timeouts do not work well at all, Citrix says it TS and TS says it is Citrix so I want to just us TS to remove a layer to properly diagnose the problem.

My problem is that I know TS will not print to a network printer and has issues with printing in general from what I am told.

Can anyone tell me a way to setup my network printers to print through TS without a large amount of hassle??

Designate one of the servers in your domain that is NOT a member of the farm to be your Print Server. Simply install every printer in the domain on that server, and then connect the users appropriatly........... you can use a script to add the printers to the users sessions automaticly, but it's a bit challenging. You can use the ifmember (from Microsoft) for breaking up the users in to groups for who gets what printer and then use the con2prt.exe (from Microsfot) to actually do the connecting.

You'll have to do your homework on using those two in conjunction with each other, but I promise you, it works like a champ when you get it configured properly.

snoots

I know I had issues with printing to a local network printer when connected through TS, but the answer was the new version of remote desktop.
Search for remote desktop windows 2003 and you'll find version 5.2.3790. With this version I have no issues printing to my local network printer anymore and connecting with local disk shown as shares under the TS session works good too now.

Hope it helps a bit

Pim

I loaded the new 2003 version of the RDP client and used it to connect to the terminal server.

Here at work it worked great, mapped my default IP printer flawlessly.

AT home it did not work.

I suspect it was because the terminal server did not have my home printers driver loaded on it like it did my work printer which is an HPLaserjet4.

Can anyone tell me if this was the case?

I think for my purposes I may just be able to use the new client with my HP4 printers.

ALSO
Does anyone know where to go specifically to get the "con2prnt" tool?
I would like to try this solution as well and have found ifmember but cannot find con2prnt.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back