Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Print Scannable barcode (CODE128)

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonang

Technical User
Oct 12, 2008
SG
Hi All,

I have this problem here.
I've downloaded some sample excel files from and i can successfully create the barcodes with all the fonts installed. However, when i print it out and scan it with a barcode scanner. It cannot be detected.

In the end i tried another barcode program and i'm able to scan the printed barcode. Here is an example:

123456 --> Í,BXLÎ --> OK! Can be scanned!
123456 --> Ò,BXLÓ --> NO! Cannot be scanned!

Question:
1. What is the difference between 2 of them?
2. How can i merge the scannable barcode into excel?

The Ò (code-point U+00D2) and Ó (code-point U+00D3) in your 'bad' bar code text (Ò,BXLÓ) are what the GrandZebu font expects to use for Start(subset C) and Stop characters respectively (according to the data on the site you linked to).

The other 'barcode program' appears to be using Í (code-point U+00CD) and Î (code-point U+00CE) instead for the start and stop characters.

This implies that the repertoires of the two fonts are different (so you can't use the GrandZebu 'program' with the other font, or vice-versa).

You may get more responses if you:

(a) Indicate what printer make/model you are using.

(b) For both program/font combinations, provide actual bar code samples (for both screen display and print); scan and attach these (as .BMP, .PNG, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back