Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Print Lost Calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBee19

Technical User
Oct 6, 2010
CA
Hi All,

Bare with me, I'm no expert on my phone system here.

Yesterday our phone system went down, couldn't make any outgoing calls or couldnt receive incoming. Just got a fast busy signal. Called Bell and they came on site. Problem was our PRI 1 was down (23 talk channels plus one D-Channel). Our 2nd PRI was okay, but since it has no D-Channel on it, it locked up so EVERYTHING was down. Bell came in and went outside to their "box". Turns out he switched the jumper and put it on another pair coming into our property and that worked. Something like there was an "open" or something.

Anyways, the Bell guy went on the phone systme after and did checked the status of some things. My question is this. He was able to tell me and do some sort of print out of how many calls we lost (I guess how many failed coming in and out). Does anybody know how to print that so it shows you calls that didn't come in? We need this to get some sort of compensation for the hours this was down and it turned out to be their problem.

Thank you all.

CompTIA A+
CompTIA Network+

Because you’re PSTN PRI was down; your PBX has no way of providing you with a incoming call report with calls denied due to no PRI connection to/from your PSTN Provider (Bell) There is some traffic reports that may be able to give you some idea to the number of calls your site may have tried to make out to the PRI and was blocked due to no available connection. Been a few years back when I have tried to find any useful information in a traffic report; also your system has to have traffic reporting turned on, with all the right option turned on. Load 2 is where you can find and print system and customer reports.

You cannot print out the inbound calls regardless of what system you have. Unless the calls get to the PBX it knows nothing about it, so with your circuit down, nothing was getting to the PBX, so it could record nothing.
The telco MIGHT have something that will tell you how many calls they tried to send to you that failed, but that is unlikely, usually they have to set things up in advance, but you never know.
Outbound, if you have a system that does phone reports, by collecting the CDR, you may have an idea from that how many were attempted, but that will depend on the system and how it is set up to report.
I think most outages are not claimed against, especially when it is a component going bad, that is very difficult to foresee by the telco, but if a tech were to disconnect something by mistake, you might have a claim. How you would prove that is a different matter though.

Forget trying to get any sort of compensation, also I would look into having a D-Channel on that second PRI. Two Pri's and 1 D-channel not a real good idea.

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

A telco guy that fixed something, TOLD you it was fixed, AND told you what was wrong? This could have only been a dream! [surprise]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back