Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to print locally with Terminal Server client?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wong38

MIS
Sep 29, 1999
CA
I'm using WIN95 to log on to terminal server and having trouble trying to print locally to my own printer. Any idea?

RDP (The protocol that WTS uses for remote access) is a display protocol only and it has no capability to redirect printing to a local printer (network or direct). You will notice you also cannot map local drives or copy a file from the remote session to the local machine. If you want the extended functions, you will have to add Citrix Metaframe on top of WTS to activate the ICA functions. The only other option here is to make your printer shared and attempt to map to it from the Terminal Server Session, but that has been met with limited success.<br>

That is correct. Citrix Metaframe allows those enhancements to be enabled within TS.

What is Citrix Metaframe? Is it like a service that I can add to TS?

You may load Citrix on top of terminal server if you wish. there are terminals available that allow you to connect to TS and they have their own software that allow you to print locally - with a bit of work.

Metaframe is a package produced by Citrix to give ICA capability to Terminal Server. It's something that installs on top of Terminal Server. Check out Citrix Website.

I would like to say thanks to people who replied to my question, you guys are really helpful!! THANKS! ESPECIALLY TO WARCORP!!! This is a great site to learn from each other!!

How about in Terminal Server 2000??? Is there a way to setup local stations other than Windows NT systems (which automatically connect your local printer) to be able to print each time they log onto the terminal server?

I have one server that runs Metaframe for 2 remote sites and probably 4-8 users. But I also have another terminal server that runs without Metaframe for around 25-30 users. We haven't had too many difficulties for printing to local client machines. But those users do not need any other features that metaframe would provide. They only need email and a special access database program that runs on the terminal server. (if we could get rid of that stupid program we wouldn't even use terminal server)

Personally, I prefer terminal server alone. But it depends on your needs I suppose.

But printing is no problem for us in terminal server with shared printers on local machines, hp jetdirects, and even axis-type network printers.

Joe.

In Microsoft Windows 2000 Terminal Services you can redirect clients local printers when they log on to a Terminal Services session with the Microsoft RDP 5 Terminal Services client. The redirection of local printers is a default behavior. When clients connect to a Terminal Services session and the clients have network printers configured, the client's network printers are not redirected. This behavior is by design. Microsoft does not provide support for redirection of network printers in Windows 2000 Server or Advanced Server. This functionality requires a 3rd party add-on product.

Actually the problem I am having is just with one Win98 PC and it's local printer. The client has a HP 1100 LaserJet printer but the Terminal Server loads the HP4V driver and sets it to print to TS port 3.
I don't understand why that client takes 4 TS ports with one login but when I manually go in a change the driver to the HP 1000(MS) and set it to TS Port 0 everything works fine.
Any ideas or news would help.....maybe that printer isn't supported or has problems overall.........

Oh and one other thing, how do you clear out licenses for the Terminal Server?? I have 10 Licenses but 3 of them aren't even being used anymore because we got new Notebooks.

Thanks,

Drew

Using NT 4 Terminal Server SP6 with Citrix, remote clients using W2K OS, printers get blowed away about once every 1 or 2 months. I have to go in delete their profile logon as them and re-setup the printer. Any suggestions ?????

Wong38,
Before you go out and buy Citrix try this. On your Win95 machine enable file and print sharing. Go to your printer folder and share your printer. Now once inside your terminal server session you can map back to this printer. I will need more details on your setup but I can get this to work for you with out the expense of Citrix. Are you on the same lan as the ts. I need to know how you connect to the TS and I will be able to get you printing or mapping back drives.

I am guessing that its to late. Sorry didnt see the 1999 date. Anyone else have this problem I can get the printer and files to work for you.

Corruption in profiles does happen sometimes - and if the user loads a duff default profile when the roaming profile cannot be loaded, then the printer mappings will necessarily be blown away, unless the Default User profile has the printers all set up.

I hope this is helpful CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Hey DMasch,

I am having a problem with NT 4.0 Terminal Server local client printing. Are you still wathching this thread?

bubarooni, I came across this problem myself yesterday.
If you have a local printer on something other than an LPT, USB or COM port you will need a reg hack:

(obviously the usual applies, back up your registry before making any changes, I cannot accept any responsibility for your changes etc, etc)

Find your way through to:
HKCU > Software > Microsoft > Terminal Server Client > Default > AddIns > RDPDR

add a new DWORD & name it:
FilterQueueType

set the Value as:
FFFFFFFF (Hexadecimal)

Hope this helps

Andrew

...also you need to have the same version of printer driver installed on both the remote machine & your local client.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back