Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to prevent users from logging onto a workstation? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

schooltechnical

Technical User
Mar 8, 2005
GB
I know I can ensure my Active Directory Users can only log on to specific workstations, but can I use a GPO to ensure a User Group (or specific user) can only use specific workstations. For example I want to ensure no one in my Arts User Group can log on to a computer in English. How would I accomplish?
thanks, try and have a good day everyone

One way is to set deny permissions on the Documents and Settings folder for groups/users that you don't want to log on.

You could do this via the file permissions tab of Group Policy.

Cheers.

this won't prevent the user from logging on though. I specifially want to stop ALL users from logging on to one winxp machine on the network.
thanks, try and have a good day

You can set the "DENY LOGON LOCALLY" in local security policies on each machine.

Go to Control Panel -> Administative Tools -> Local Security Settings. and add the groups that you do not want to logon to that machine.

This has to be done to all machines, since its in the local security settings.

Give this a try and let me know

Life is a mind game
Wanna Play?

I've done this on a few machines before, they simply get an error saying that the computer can not create their profile, then they are sent back to the logon screen.

This would not work if you have roaming/mandatory profiles.

If this does not work look at DENY ACCESS TO THIS COMPUTER FROM THE NETWORK" and add the groups that way.

Im not to sure if this will work but you can give it a try

Life is a mind game
Wanna Play?

Live2Die, i tried your first option and it worked beauifully - you're a star!
thanks, try and have a good day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back