Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to prevent users from emptying/deleting dumpster - deleted items

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstevens

IS-IT--Management
Jul 31, 2001
US
I cannot seem to find a way to prevent users from permanently deleting and purging out their dumpster in outlook / exchange system, whether by a group policy or registry hack and import.

I know the work around for adding the DumpsterAllwaysOn=1 registry key to allow me to access the dumpster on their entire mailbox. This has allowed me to access the mail but if I have a super smart user, they can easily add this same key and remove all traces of deleted items.

What I am going to have to do is setup an email archiver such as GFI's MailArchiver but it would be so nice just to be able to lock this down. I can't believer MS does not provide this security option.

The only thing I have found is a pay per view article (80$) on removing the menu option. But I did not pay for it.

Thanks in advance
Jason

Disabling user interface elements

You can set policies that disable menu commands, toolbar buttons, and shortcut keys. By setting these policies, you can help prevent users from changing or gaining access to particular features or options. A menu item or command bar button that has been disabled by policy appears grayed out in the user interface and is unavailable to users.
Disabling menu items and command bar buttons

A number of menu items and command bar buttons are listed by name in the policy templates in the Disable items in user interface | Predefined | Disable command bar buttons and menu items policy. These items include commands that administrators frequently choose to disable, such as the Hyperlink command (Insert menu) and the Macro command (Tools menu).

To disable any other command in an Office 2003 application, you set the Custom | Disable command bar buttons and menu items policy and add the control ID for the command you want to disable.

To disable a menu item and the corresponding command bar button

1. Select the check box to set the Custom | Disable command bar buttons and menu items policy for the appropriate Office 2003 application.
2. Click the Show button.
3. Click Add and enter the control ID for the item you want to disable.

Note Menu items and their corresponding command bar buttons share the same control ID. For example, in Microsoft Word the control ID for both the Save command (File menu) and Save button (Standard toolbar) is 3.
Finding control IDs in Visual Basic for Applications

You can look up control IDs for any item on a menu or toolbar in Office 2003 applications by using Microsoft Visual Basic® for Applications (VBA). You can either look up a single control ID or use a macro to find a series of control IDs. Then you enter the control ID into the Group Policy snap-in to disable that menu command and toolbar button.

Note Menu commands and their corresponding toolbar buttons share the same control ID. For example, the control ID for both the Save command (File menu) and the Save button (Standard toolbar) in Microsoft Word is 3.
Finding a single control ID

You use the Immediate window in VBA to look up the control ID for a single item on a menu. For example, the following command returns the value 748, which is the control ID for the Save As command on the File menu in Microsoft Word:

? commandbars("menu bar").controls("file").controls("save as...").id

Note For Microsoft Excel, use worksheet menu bar instead of menu bar in the previous example.

You use the same command to find the control ID for a toolbar button. For example, the following command displays the control ID for the Document Map button (Standard toolbar) in Word:

? commandbars ("standard").controls ("document map").id

Finding all the control IDs for a menu or toolbar

If you want to find the control IDs for all the items on a menu or toolbar, you can create a macro in VBA. For example, the following macro opens a series of message boxes to display the commands and corresponding control IDs for each item on the File menu for any Office 2003 application:

Sub EnumerateControls()
Dim icbc As Integer
Dim cbcs As CommandBarControls
Set cbcs = Application.CommandBars("Menu Bar").Controls("File").Controls
For icbc = 1 To cbcs.Count
MsgBox cbcs(icbc).Caption & " = " & cbcs(icbc).ID
Next icbc
End Sub

Note To disable all of the items on a menu, you can enter each item individually in the Group Policy snap-in. Or, you can disable the entire menu by entering the control ID for the menu itself.
Disabling shortcut keys

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back