Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Prevent Multiple Logons to Windows NT Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

esalgado

MIS
Sep 15, 1999
US
Is there a method to prevent multiple logons to the WIndows NT Domain that doesn't require third party software?

None I'm aware of, however there are a couple of methods on <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> involving scripting and some freeware. Tip#296 would be the one to look at first. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

How about this<br>
In the Server go to &quot;User manager for domains&quot;<br>
doubleClick on the user<br>
Click &quot;Logon on to&quot; at the bottom <br>
This will allow you to set only one workstation at a time.<br>
<br>
Maybe?<br>

I found the following at don't know if it's what you require.<br>
<br>
Mickey.<br>
<br>
Q. How can I stop a user logging on more than once?<br>
<br>
A. There is no way in NT to stop a user logging on more than once, however it is possible to restrict a workstation so that only a certain user can login, and with this method each user would be tied to one workstation and thus could only logon once. <br>
<br>
Logon to the Workstation as the Domain Administrator <br>
Start User Manager (Start - Administrative Tools - User Manager) <br>
Double click the Users group and select the Domain\Everyone and click remove <br>
Next click add and select the specific domain user and click Add <br>
Close User Manager <br>
Logoff and only that specific user will be able to logon (be careful that Administrators still include Domain\Administrators or you will not be able to logon) <br>
This solution is far from ideal, and it may be plausible to write a login script that checked if a user was currently logged on and if so, logoff straight away (using the logout command line tool).<br>
<br>
<br>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
<br>
This FAQ is copyright © 1999 John Savill (SavillTech Ltd). No part of this document should be reproduced, distributed or altered without my written permission. Contact Information.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back