Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to prevent multiple logins using same username?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpro

Programmer
Oct 11, 2004
GB
Hi guys

what is the best way to prevent multiple users logging in
using the same username/password

--Can we guarantee this using the session
--Is it better to do storing the sessionid in the database
--any other thoughts would be great.

Thanks

You could have a field in the database table that you set to True when the user logs in and set it to False when they log out (and when their session expires in case they forget to log out)

You can then check the state of this field when you process the login information. If the field is set to true then deny access since someone is logged in.

Tony

thanks tony

what about if some one logged in and then closes the browser(some times might crash and then closes itself also)
and again tried to logged in.we can't also rely Session to do the logout for us

and also my site doesn't have any logout functionality.

any other tip

yes Tony we shouldn't allow multiple logins with the same username at a time..

you could try storing a time stamp every time the user goes to a page then if someone else with the same name tries to log in it checks to see their current time is a certain amount of mins greater than the one stored on the db,

if it is then other use is either in active or has closed the browser so they can continue.

If its not then it means someone with that username name is on

steven what if the user opens two windows on the same machine and he still active with the first window.

i wanted to some how be able to do what the yahoo do with their messenger.If some one logs on another machine the first connection will be logged of.

how do we logoff the user and send him back to login page in asp

but your orig question was if someone is looged in no one else with same name can't

what you are asking now is the excact opposite

which one is it?

Instead of storing true/false in the current login field perhaps you could store the user's IP address or a NULL.

That way you could have multiple windows on one machine or you could close the browser and reopen it.

If you have dynamic IP addresses and your box chrashes you'd still be S.O.L.

the second option is simple just store the session.id in field then if someone else logs on their session id will be stored, so next time the first person who logged in goes to a secure page it check to see if his session.id matches - if not he will get kickoff

Session ID is better than IP address because it would survive a change of address and, for obvious reasons, it is impossible for that ID to recycled before the pervious session with that ID ends.

still asking the same Q

we should permit only one login per username/password.

my thinking now is by going through your suggestion ,if some one else logged in with the same user name we should logoff the first user and allow the new user to login.

how can we do this..

You could put some code to check the current session into an INCLUDE file that gets pulled into every page. This code would compare the userid to the session id and, if they don't match, kick the person out to the login page.

lol I didn't even see this:

" so next time the first person who logged in goes to a secure page it check to see if his session.id matches - if not he will get kickoff" - steven290

Looks like he beat me again!

thanks guys i think this way we don't even need to bother to clear the session as we can update the SessionId to null
in the Session_OnEnd

i will give it a shot checking sessionId's and will let you know if i come across any other problems with this.once again thanks very much for all your help

should prob be something like this

when someone logs in

"update tblname set securesession=" & session.sessionid

if second person logs in - first person get kicked like this

"select securesession from tblname where id=whatever"

if cint(rs("securesession"))<>session.sessionid then
response.redirect("login.asp")
else
continue...
end if

Sheco i wouldn't say its beating - you were just reenforcing, lol

thanks steve..that's the real stuff..