Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to prevent authorization code prompt when call forwarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalphNY

MIS
Mar 13, 2013
US
Hello,
The short version: We need calls to externally-forwarded extensions to go out through the PRI only, but without the caller being prompted to enter the authorization code of the extension they are dialing. Please help!

We are forwarding a number of extensions to external numbers, and whenever the calls get forwarded out through our pots lines which require long distance authorization codes from the phone company, the callers who just dialed the person's extension on the phone menu get stuck at that beep prompt, not knowing the authorization code.

To avoid this, I'm trying to route the calls from these extensions so they only go out on the PRI. However, when the forwarding extension's ARS Restriction is set to 2, which should let them call out on the PRI only, the caller then hears a Magix prompt to enter an authorization code.

These extensions already had their authorization code entered when their forwarding was set up via #80THEIRAUTHCODE#*3391THEIRPHONENUMBER#, and when the ARS restiction is set to 3, and their calls can go out on any line, callers are not prompted by the Magix to an auth code, but only those calls that happen to go out on pots lines are prompted to enter the phone companies long distance access code.

When their calls happen to go out on the PRI, but they are unrestricted to which lines they can use, then they aren't prompted by the system to enter the auth code, but have to deal with the phone company LD code prompt, if their calls go out on POTS.

I was thinking about changing their call forwarding numbers to include a pause and their Magix authorization code before their number, but I'm not sure if that's possible, or how to insert the pause numerically.

Please tell me if there any other way to route the calls to these forwarded extensions out the PRI, but not have the caller be prompted by the Magix for the extensions authorization code. Thanks a lot for your help, Ralph.

P.S. This is on a Magix v4, with each extension that's being forwarded externally already granted Remote Forward and Trunk to Trunk transfer permission in SPM.

Each of these extensions also has an Magix authorization code which was entered when their forwarding was set up, and which the caller isn't prompted for, when the extension is not restricted to an ARS level that lets them dial out on either the POTS or the PRI, but those calls that end up going out the pots then get restricted by the phone company.

This is causing important calls to not go through. I need to allow these calls to without a prompt from either the phone company or the Magix, yet keep the LD restriction codes from the phone company, for the callers at non-forwarded extensions at the site.

Don't confuse the Magix authorization code with the phone company's authorization code.

The Magix auth code is used to "become" another extension for the duration of a single call. Thus, you can go to an extension that is blocked from making outgoing calls, log in as an unblocked extension, and make a call. When you hang up, the phone goes back to its regular settings. Also, you can log in as a phantom extension to set its call forwarding.

The phone company's authorization codes comes after a long distance call is dialed out. The call is held at the central office until the caller enters a valid code, then the call is connected.

Work with ARS tables and FRL restriction levels to cause these forwarded extensions to ONLY use the PRI for outgoing calls.

Tommy,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, want to cause the extensions that are permanently forwarded to external phone numbers, to be routed out the PRI exclusively, yet not prompt the caller to enter the magix auth code.

The forwarding was set up by dialing #80MagixExtensionAuthCode#*3391ForwardToNumber#. When the extension's ARS Restriction level is 3, it mostly works- calls to those extensions are forwarded out any available line, and there is no prompt from the Magix to enter the extension's auth code.

However, the phone company also has long distance auth codes on the pots lines, which management wants to keep. I need to send the forwarded calls out the PRI only, on which the phone company doesn't prompt them to enter a long distance access code.

When I set the remote-forwarded-extension's ARS Restriction level to 2, so their calls only go out the PRI, then Magix verbally prompts the caller who dialed the extension to enter the extension's Magix auth code, even though the magix auth code was already entered when the forwarding was set up.

One plausible way around this could be to include the auth code again after the number, in the call forwarding setup i.e. #80MagixExtensionAuthCode#*3391ForwardToNumber-PAUSE-SOMEHOW-MagixExtensionAuthCode#, but I don't know if that's possible, and if so, what number I could use for pause.

Is there any way to do that, or to otherwise prevent the extensions which are already being forwarded using the magix auth code, from prompting the caller to enter the auth code again, when the calls are routed out the PRI only with ARS Restriction? Thanks again for your help, Ralph.

Tell me how the Magix is verbally prompting callers to enter the Magix's authorization code - cause there's nothing in the system that does that!!

Tommy,
Here is a recording of the verbal prompt to enter the auth code, after I dial the extension. I dial the extension that is call forwarding but which has ARS Restriction level 2, to only forward out the PRI, and I'm prompted verbally to enter the auth code.

In this case, this is for my former extension at that location, which when I set it to ARS level 3, does forward without the magix auth code prompt, but then any time it goes out through the POTS lines, the phone company prompts the caller to enter the long distance access code.

Just to reiterate/clarify, when I set the extensions to ARS Restriction level 2, the they get prompted by the Magix to enter it's auth code, and when I have ARS Restriction set to 3 for that extension, the magix doesn't prompt them, but depending on the line they go out, the phone company prompts them.

I need to avoid or automatically answer any magix prompts for authorization codes when the calls/extensions are restricted to going out the PRI.

The prompt to enter your authorization code is NOT coming from the Magix.

"If you know your party's extension, please dial it now" is the automated attendant

"Your call is being transferred" is the Merlin Messaging

"....ization code followed by the pound key"...."Code invalid. Please enter your authorization code followed by pound key" is coming from the telephone company.

Please post your ARS-All and Trunk Info-General to get to the bottom of it.

Tommy,
Thanks. Sorry for the delay. I had thought the recording was from the Magix, because the woman's voice sounded like the Merlin Messaging announcer voice, and I had never heard it before.

The sound typically heard if calling out from that site on the (POTS) lines that require a long distance access code, is just a constant beeeeep tone. I knew those codes were on some POTS lines and not others, but I had also thought they were not on the PRI.

That location has many pots lines and normally calls only go out the PRI if the pots are all occupied, which hasn't happened since many staff moved to different sites.

Is there Magix code ala *33 to directly dial out a specific line, rather than a pool of lines? I'd like to test each of the pots lines to see which of them have the LD restriction. Many of them don't, but enough do that it's a problem.

If I knew exactly which pots lines didn't have the LD restriction, I could put those in a pool and limit the forwarding extensions to using that pool. Thanks again for your help.

*03, (the WinSPM remote access password dialed on the keypad), then 01 for line 801, 02 for line 802, etc.

Tommy,
Thanks, but I'm having difficulty getting that to work. If I pick up a handset and dial *03 01 or *03 02, I don't hear anything, compared to when I dial *33, I hear a dial tone. I'm not sure on Magix systems, but should I hear a busy if that line is busy, or should I just hear silence? Am I missing a step? Thanks again.

Here's what you're missing - (the WinSPM remote access password dialed on the keypad) between the *03 and the 01, 02, etc.

There's a password that you need to input when you connect WinSPM via a modem. You can find it for your system if you connect directly. You "dial" that password on the keypad after dialing *03 and getting another dial tone. It it happens to be "cupcake", you would dial 2872253 on the dial pad.

So, *03-2872253-01 would get you line 1. (or whatever the dialpad equivalent of the password is)

Tommy,
I'm sorry, it still seems like I must be missing something. If I dial *03 followed by 2723874 the numeric version of the modem password, at least when pressing where letters appear on a phone dial buttons, followed-by 01, or 02, or 11 etc, e.g. *03-2723874-11 then I get a fast busy signal before I can dial out on what should be line 811.

I do get a dial tone at two points: after the *03 and again after the ..74, but not after the two-digit line number. I'm not sure why that is.

I will try dialing in to see if that alphanumeric modem password has chagnged. It worked the last time I tried it. Can that dialin modem password by changed via WinSPM?

If I can connect via modem with the current password, is there anything else I might be missing that might be causing me not to be able to dial out on a particular line?

Sorry for the hassle and thanks again for your help, Ralph.

You should get an internal dial tone after the *03, another after the correct password, and then the 2 digit line number should get you outside dial tone. You will get a busy if the line is already in use, if it is the MOH line, if it is a DID trunk, or if it is a channel on a T1/PRI. Sounds like you have the correct password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back