Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to populate a combo box faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

campbere

Technical User
Oct 10, 2000
US
Is there a way to improve the speed of populating a combo box?

I have a combo box that is populated from a resultset but it has 1750 choices and it takes a long time to populate. Any suggestions?

The real question is, should you be populating a combo box with 1750 choices? That kind of loses the whole reason behind a combox box. The user basically needs to know what they are looking for anyways because they are not going thru all 1750 choices. I would suggest going back thru your buisness processes and determining if there is a better way of doing things that could keep the choices a little more reasonable. This is going to improve performance much more then just optimizing a single page.

A poor design is the number ONE factor in poor application proformance. Wushutwist

That would be ideal. However there are that many product listings and the CUSTOMER has to have the ability to see every single of them.

Once they select the product and a few other conditions they hit submit and information is returned about that product. Items sold, origination, items available, description, etc...

I have tried to get off the list box but the customer does not want to give it up. For them it is an easy way of finding their product.

I am open for suggestions. If you have any.

can you catagorize the product list?
If you had products in sepearte categories then the customer can select a gategory and the the list of items would be smaller and therefore run faster.

I was thinking of adding a category table, and each category had a number assignment. then add column in the product table that holds the corresponding category numeric value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back