Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to pass out a registry change to w2K click ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACraib

MIS
Sep 7, 2001
GB
I need to add the following to all my W2k workstations

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Common

and add AlternateParseDisplayNameMethod with a value of 1

any one know of an easy why to do this?

cheers

Andrew

make the change on your workstation, export it to a .REG file, and add it to your user's logon scripts using the REGEDIT /S command.

Piece of cake:

create the registry entry just the way you want it on one of your workstations. Next use regedit and browse to the portion you want, from the menu select export registry file and save the .reg file. Open this file with notepad and remove any non-pertinant sections (careful to leave the first line and keep the basic structure). place this file on a network accessible location and place a line in your login script something like

regedit \\servername\sharename\fix.reg

this will have the workstations apply the change each time they process the logon script. If you want to get fancy you can also have the script place a dummy file on the workstation and look for it with an if then statement to make sure the file only runs once.

Note:
Make sure to test the .reg file on a few machines before you roll it out to make sure your edits were a good thing and not a bad thing.

You can test it by double clicking on the .reg file

hope that helps,
Jay Mosser
jaym@optymgroup.com

thanks for that ..... just to make sure I've got this right

I'd add the following line to my user logon scripts

regedit /s filename.reg ?

make sure that the line has the path to the file along with the filename

regedit /s \\servername\sharename\file.reg

as a note /s does not always work and your users may get a box popping up that they have to click OK. there is a MS Q doc that explains how to pipe a yes into the command in a batch file (sorry it is not on the top of my head).

When I was working with it, some clients will not take a /y. They still get the OK box to respond to. there was a ms Q doc that outined another method. I cannot remember what it was, but it was not the /y switch.

Oh well, I get old, I forget, I ? ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back