Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to pass a column name and sort direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

CzechNET

Programmer
Nov 2, 2004
CA

I'm trying to create a stored procedure into which I'd like to pass the column name and direction by which to sort the result. For example I'd like to pass "fldNAME DESC" as the @ORDER. Is this possible ? Thanks.

Code:
CREATE PROCEDURE sp_MY_POROC
@ID as INT
@ORDER AS Something
AS
SELECT fldNAME FROM tblTABLE WHERE ID = @ID ORDER BY
GO

build your string in a working variable and issue
EXEC sp_executesql @executestring

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that noboby appreciates how difficult it was.
- Steven Wright

I like to avoid the use of dynamic SQL if possible. If the choice of columns is limited to the same datatype then I'd definately use a CASE statement for the ORDER BY. Even if it isn't you can convert them to the same type (for most datatypes anyway).
Code:
[Blue]ORDER[/Blue] [Blue]BY[/Blue] [Blue]CASE[/Blue] @SomeThing [Blue]WHEN[/Blue] [red]'ColA'[/red] [Blue]THEN[/Blue] ColA[Gray],[/Gray]
            [Blue]WHEN[/Blue] [red]'ColB'[/red] [Blue]THEN[/Blue] ColB[Gray],[/Gray] etc [Blue]END[/Blue]
-Karl

[red] Cursors, triggers, user-defined functions and dynamic SQL are an axis of evil![/red]
[green]Life's uncertain...eat dessert first...www.deerfieldbakery.com[/green]

I'm going to post a sample StoredProc... it sucks to write these things, and this is (as absolutely far as I know) the only way to make variable sortfield + direction.

One of the tips is, you MUST group fields of similar types (date, string, numbers) into the same set of CASE statements... and you CAN NOT combine ordinals from a CASE statement with ORDINALs outside the case statement. Which seriously blows. So, as you have no-doubt found, you can't pass an ordinal and say ORDER BY @iSortCol, 2

The following code seems very long (and I've removed almost all of the actual fields, which you can tell since my @iSortCol variable accounts for numbers as high as 19, but I'm only selecting 2 columns. Hopefully this will give you a hint on the process.

An even better result would be for SQLSister to look at the following block of goo and help simplify things for me, too. ;-)
Code:
/*****************************
NAME:        wsp_getSomeStuffAndSortIt
CREATED:     11/01/2003 Mr3Putt
REFERENCE:   None
PURPOSE:     A public sample of my ineptitude
REVISIONS:   Mr3Putt 11.2004 deleted almost everything
*****************************/

ALTER Procedure wsp_getBLPTrFd_Trades
(
 @iSortCol int = 0,
 @sSortDir varchar(4) = 'DESC',
 @dTradeDt smalldatetime
)
AS
SET NOCOUNT OFF
IF @sSortDir = 'ASC' -- ASCENDING SORT ORDER
  BEGIN
    SELECT t.nPrice, p.sTransDescr
    FROM dbo.TableOfStuff t 
    WHERE (@dTradeDt = t.TradeDate)
    ORDER BY 
     CASE @iSortCol -- SORT NUMERIC COLUMNS
       WHEN 0 THEN t.iTrFdID
       WHEN 1 THEN t.iTSN
       WHEN 2 THEN t.iStartTrnNbr
       WHEN 7 THEN t.iTrRecType
       WHEN 8 THEN t.nTradeAmt
       WHEN 13 THEN t.nPrice
     END ASC,
     CASE @iSortCol -- SORT TEXT COLUMNS
       WHEN 3 THEN t.sTraderName
       WHEN 4 THEN t.sSecID
       WHEN 17 THEN p.sTransDescr
       WHEN 19 THEN c.sOurTrnCode
     END ASC,
     CASE @iSortCol -- SORT DATE COLUMNS
       WHEN 9 THEN t.dTradeDt
       WHEN 12 THEN t.dMaturity
       WHEN 15 THEN t.dLastUpdDt
     END ASC,
 1 DESC  [COLOR=green]-- default sort by first column[/color]
  END
ELSE
  BEGIN
    SELECT t.nPrice, p.sTransDescr  -- DESCENDING ORDER (default)
    FROM dbo.TableOfStuff t 
    WHERE (@dTradeDt = t.TradeDate)
    ORDER BY 
     CASE @iSortCol -- SORT NUMERIC COLUMNS
       WHEN 0 THEN t.iTrFdID
       WHEN 1 THEN t.iTSN
       WHEN 2 THEN t.iStartTrnNbr
       WHEN 7 THEN t.iTrRecType
       WHEN 8 THEN t.nTradeAmt
     END DESC,
     CASE @iSortCol -- SORT TEXT COLUMNS
       WHEN 3 THEN t.sTraderName
       WHEN 4 THEN t.sSecID
       WHEN 5 THEN t.sBuySellFlag
       WHEN 19 THEN c.sOurTrnCode
     END DESC,
     CASE @iSortCol -- SORT DATE COLUMNS
       WHEN 9 THEN t.dTradeDt
       WHEN 10 THEN t.dSettleDt
       WHEN 12 THEN t.dMaturity
       WHEN 15 THEN t.dLastUpdDt
     END DESC,
 1 DESC
  END
SET NOCOUNT ON
I hope that this is helpful... good luck on your project.

[red]Note:[/red] [gray]The above comments are the opinionated ravings of Mr3Putt. As such, Mr3Putt accepts no responsibility for damages, real or contrived, resulting from acceptance of his opinions as fact.[/gray]

Thanks guys, right after my head explodes I'll try to implement it :) Close to first time using Store Procs, so far it's a love hate relationship ...

If you promise to love Stored Procs and hate Dynamic SQL, Cursors, Triggers and User Defined Functions, then you "can be my wing-man any day." :)
-Karl

[red] Cursors, triggers, user-defined functions and dynamic SQL are an axis of evil![/red]
[green]Life's uncertain...eat dessert first...www.deerfieldbakery.com[/green]

I do love it so far :) Saves on code I have to write, separates the application logic give me more power it's faster and more organized .... no reason not to use it :)

One question though, how difficult is it to port MSSQL SP's to say Oracle SP's ?

Case is an ansi SQL function, but I'm not sure if Oracle supports it. The book I have (which is a couple of versions of Oracle out of date) says it does not, but that the DECODE function performs essentially the same thing.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

I know that Oracle 9i supports the CASE functionality, and I believe that 8i does as well. DECODE is still supported in all recent versions of Oracle.

--Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back