Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to package and deploy VC++ (dsw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nokia6600

Technical User
Apr 18, 2008
YE
Hi,

I need to know how to pachage me VC++ MFC application to be installed on other machine .
I tried to used package and deployment wizard tool , but it ask for vbp only .

Please help.
Thanks,
Abdu

There's also a built in setup option. If you're using VS 2005/2008 then all you have to do is add a new project to your solution and choose the "Setup and Deployment" section. This will start a wizard and walk you through it. The wizard works really good for a simple app, but there may be tweaking needed afterwards. The interface is fairly intuitive and isn't too hard to figure out.

If you're using version 6, then you need to run the "Setup and Deployment" application (should be located under your tools program group, IIRC).

im in ur stakz, overflowin ur heapz!

If you're a total wuss, you can simply zip your executable (probably located in the Release subdirectory), put it on a floppy, put your sneakers on, and carry the floppy to the other machine. Of course, machines don't have floppy drives anymore, so you'll have to burn it to CD.

Anyone else remember them days, when SneakerNet was hi-tech?

OMG...having to run WinZip with span disks..LOL

Thanks for your reply .
But what I need is to install my application ( VC++ app_ in other machine the VS is not installed in it . I am using VS.6 .
regarding to the Setup and Deployment" application that located under tools program group it ask me for .vbp project .

Thanks,
Abdu

You install VC++ on another machine the same way you installed it on the first one.

If you actually have installation CDs, you just put the first CD in the drive and follow instructions.

If you installed from a downloaded file, you install using that same file via network, burned CD or a new downloaded copy.

He's wanting to create an installer. If memory serves, VS6 came with a version of Install Shield. You may not have installed it when you originally installed VS. If you don't see it on your system, just put the original cd in and run through the setup. At the end of the setup, it'll ask you to install additional apps...Install Shield should be in there.

It's hard to tell what he does want!

To change the project type, you should be able to choose a different project or workspace suffix from the combo box below the entry field for the file name.

Hi members ,

Sorry for confusing you . What I exactly want is:
I am now developing VC++ application for a customer in my PC , when the application is ready, I need to install it in the customer PC . I need to hide my source code ,The customer just work with the exe file , so I need to make my application as installer to intall it in the customer machine. I used to do that with VB6 (after developing the application package by going to start->programs->Microsoft Visual studio-> Microsoft visual Studio 6 tool-> Package & deployment wizard , this enable me to package my application as istaller to install it in other machine).

Thanks alot,
Abdu

Abdu,

In order to create an install package for vc++ 6, you need to use a third party app, such as install shield. I'm almost certain there's a free version of Install Shield that comes with visual studio 6. There's also other packages out there that you can use. If you do a search for C++ Install Package, you'll get a lot of responses. Most you have to pay for, but there are some free ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back