Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to overwrite xp with win 98 SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidman3117

Technical User
Sep 9, 2004
US
I got an old PIII 450 mhz with 250 mgs of ram at a yard sale and it was loaded with Win XP Pro. I tried to overwrite it with the win 98SE disk, and it asked me to reboot in ms dos mode..How is that done, and then I just type D:\>setup.exe?
I am sure there will be a few who are saying why go back? I am pretty sure that in this config. Win98SE will put less demands on the resources, thereby improving performance. Of course, if there are reasons why I should keep xp Pro, I will listen.
Regards,
Vidman

WinXP and Win98SE will perform about the same on that machine... Win98SE was very inefficient.

Regardless, to get into DOS, you just goto shut down in MS-DOS Mode.

Also, WinXP will crash much less on the machine, and will be tons more secure...

Really.. people should not want to be on the internet using anything less than 2000. It's not secure enough (2000 is a big step back from XP SP2, but big step forward from 98/ME).

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Keep XP Pro, but if you want to increase performance, make sure you scan for Spyware often using Adaware, and also make sure you're not running any useless stuff at startup (e.g. Quicktime). To do this, go Start -> Run -> "msconfig", then go to the Startup Tab.

Ok, I hear you folks, and I agree about the security, and crashing, but I just looked up the specs for loading win xp pro vs Win98SE:
Minimum specs:
Win XP 300mghz Pentium 128mg ram 1.5gig hd space
Win 98SE 66mhz 486 24mg ram 260mb hd space
The resource requirements are dramatically different, how can they both perform the same?
Vidman

because windows 98SE may run on lower equipment, is does not mean that it runs well or efficient.

Unless you plan on running no programs in windows, I would stick with WinXP.

CCNA

To start a XP machine in MS-DOS you will require a 9x Startup Floppy (boot disk).

You can then run Fdisk to delete and create partitions and then run Format to make the created partition a FAT32 file system partition. You should then be able to install 98 by booting from the CD.

How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or Repartition a Hard Disk

If you don't have or can't borrow a Startup Disk, try here.

I agree with the others that you should keep XP.

lol linney, you made me realize i gave him instructions on how to get into ms dos mode from win98..

wow....

CCNA

another vote for windows XP.

Its much more stable, has better memory management, never have to worry about resources anymore, faster bootup time, prefetch caching for programs for optimal loading, etc.

Its simply more advanced.

If possible, I would highly recommend formatting and installing XP fresh on that computer. Who knows what condition it is left over from the previous owners - virus, spyware, bad registry, left over dll's, and just general crap and clutter. Start fresh IMO.

Whatever your choice may be - before you format your computer and start from scratch w/ either 98 or XP, download the most recent service pack for that OS and any relevant patches. Reason being, an unpatched fresh 98 or XP install hitting the internet, and attempting to download the latest critical updates will be hit by net virus before you even have a chance to protect yourself.

However, I don't agree with XP supporters here... I am still one of those who wants to move back to win 98 after installing xp pro to one of my pcs (AMD 1.2 gh) ... the performance is really bad and the system is running out of memory so often. The same system was performing very very well that i was so happy with with windows 98 SE. However, since i wanted to install VS.Net i moved to XP Pro but surely i am not happy with it.

Couple of months back i tryed to go back to win 98 however i got some crappy errors that couldn't fix it so re-installed xp pro again ;-((

RA

certainly AMD 1.2Ghz is not a fair indicator on the specs of your system.

Also, is it a system you bought from a company, like HP?

I mean, your situation is like comparing this to WinME.. except for the 1 guy who has NOT had problems with it.

CCNA

Aw come on Lloyd Win ME was great!! Okay...I'm done being sarcastic...

I'd say move to Windows XP. Even if you do take some kind of performance hit the benefits are so much more.

Improved security
Still in its support cycle
Better memory management (I have yet to receive an "Out of memory error")

And the list continues. I can understand the hesitation, XP received some very bad reviews right after it's release (many of them deserved) but since then MS has done a great job in stabalizing and expanding on it's functionality.

the trick is knowing how to setup XP to run less hungry.

minimising services running and doing simple things like changing the visual effects to run for best performance.

there is a load of documentation out there...

thats my vote for XP by the way...

seeking equality for goats

Neither pro or anti XP, pro or anti SE, both have their place, strong points, and weak points. Do what you need to do.

Of the 14 bootable partitions I have available (please don't ask why) 5 dos only, 3 dos/95 , 4 dos/SE, 1 2K, 1 XPH. And I am around XPH and XPP enough at other places to have pretty much equal time.

I went through pretty much the same arguements with a buddy at the 3.1/95B transition time. He couldn't understand why I was still with 3.1. Even though I could log in , check mail, and shutdown and be off doing something else before his 95 had completed boot-up.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back