Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to overclock a t-bird 1ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

estesflyer

Programmer
Dec 19, 2000
US
hi, how can i do it? i heard you have to scratch something...
i have a k7vza mainboard.

- Rusty

Scratch something?

I would recommend trying to increase your FSB speed. This method allows everything including your processor to run faster, making the O/Cing more effective. Go in small steps until you start having stability issues and go back to the previous setting. If you need detailed instructions on how to change this setting let us know, with more specific hardware details.

If your processor is anything like mine (Athlon 800), you will find that the multiplier is locked and changing this will not truly allow it to run faster. I have heard of methods to unlock the multiplier but it isn't anything I would do to something that I paid over $200 for. Perhaps that's what you mean by scratching? Anyway, good luck. Justin

Feel free to email me at:
beckham@mailbox.orst.edu

"3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population."

let me follow up on citrixengineer says:

for every cpu there is a Front Side Bus and a multipler

for example for a 1 Ghz Thunderbird you would have
100x10 = 1000
FSBxM = mhz

or 133x7.5

If you use the old pencil trick it unlocks the multiper in which you can change the multipler in the Motherboard...check your motherboard bios...But modifying the FSB isn't good, since you are overclock your whole system..ie, all your pci card, your ram and etc....since specification says PCI are 33 mhz which is 100/3 or 133/4 and agp are 66mhz...if you change your fsb to 118 you are dividing 118/3 in which you are overstressing your component...the best way is that if you have a 100 Base System you can overclock it to 133 and then lowering your Multipler...for example a 133x10 = 1330 which depend on your cpu it will work or not...but you can do this 133x9 will give u 1200 at 133 FSB which makes all your component go faster.

Another remark that Cyrix said that Athlon is not necessary, this is untrue...all Athlon that are lower than 1200 mhz have their L1 bridges cut. And also a lot of the athlon also have their L1 bridges cut...you should double check yours too. Also check the serial number on your core...recently the AXHA cpus can overclock really well.

Remember, if you overclock remember to provide extra cooling to your computer...also that you may burn out your component and that you will have to buy new ones if you mess up...and i'm not responsibile for anything :)
Hope this helps.
Hui Emagine Solutions, Inc.

the new Athlon AXIA are much more overclockible now, reaching upto 1.5 and 1.6 Ghtz easily, nvnews.net did a review on an AXIA Athlon they received, and got it around 1.57Ghz, reaching a new record of being over 50% overclockible (their old champ was a celeron 300 that reached 475) Karl Blessing aka kb244{fastHACK}
kblogo.jpg

AIEIEIDONTKNOW

hehe, I just basically know

For ease
Use FSB to overclock
problem is that it cant go too far

The typical way is upping the voltage and the multipler.

I guess you could do a combination, increasing the FSB and increasing the multipler. Karl Blessing aka kb244{fastHACK}
kblogo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back