Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to output Check Boxes in a Rich Text Format report

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard1458

Instructor
Oct 21, 2000
GB
When I output a report as an rtf attached to an email, my check boxes (linked to YesNo fields) disappear. Is there any way of getting them to appear, or using some other way of outputting? (I do not want rows of -1's, or even 1's if I can help it!)

- Richard

I don't have checkboxes on the reports that export and email but they should show up as is just the same. In Access2000, you click on File, Send, then select Snapshot Format. This will open your mail software and attach the file.

In Access97, I click on File, Save as Export, To External File or DB, Ok, File Type = Snapshot, then of course select location and filename and save. You can then attach the file to an email.

The person on the other end of the email needs to have the snapshot viewer on their PC. You can download it easily from microsoft @

Michelle Fulton

Thanks, but I am emailing these reports to inexperienced users of computers who just about know how to open an attachment. They won't be able to handle downloading and installing any kind of viewer.
Surely there is a way of doing this with a report in rich text format.
- Richard

I understand your predicament and am in the same boat. I sent the executable, that you install the viewer with, as an attachment and walked the user through it(all they have to do is double click on it, really). After the viewer is installed, they only have to double click on the attachments you send them, as usual, to open them. If you don't have too many users you have to send this report to, it really is very easy.

I'm sorry, I don't know how to get the checkboxes into a text document. Michelle Fulton

In my report, I had them in a group. And then in report's Detail_Format event, I said if the group value was 1 then Box A Label was Bold, and Box B and Box C was not visible. At least in this way the selected answer was the only on visible in the report. If no selection was made, then all were Visible, but could just as easily show up as invisible by default till a selection was made.

If Nz(Frame82) = 1 Then
Me.Controls.Item("Label85").Visible = True
With Me.Controls.Item("Label85")
.FontItalic = True
.FontUnderline = True
End With
Me.Controls.Item("Label87").Visible = False
Me.Controls.Item("Label89").Visible = False
ElseIf Nz(Frame82) = 2 Then
Me.Controls.Item("Label87").Visible = True
With Me.Controls.Item("Label87")
.FontItalic = True
.FontUnderline = True
End With
Me.Controls.Item("Label85").Visible = False
Me.Controls.Item("Label89").Visible = False
ElseIf Nz(Frame82) = 3 Then
Me.Controls.Item("Label89").Visible = True
With Me.Controls.Item("Label89")
.FontItalic = True
.FontUnderline = True
End With
Me.Controls.Item("Label85").Visible = False
Me.Controls.Item("Label87").Visible = False
Else
Me.Controls.Item("Label85").Visible = True
Me.Controls.Item("Label87").Visible = True
Me.Controls.Item("Label89").Visible = True
With Me.Controls.Item("Label85")
.FontItalic = False
.FontUnderline = False
End With
With Me.Controls.Item("Label87")
.FontItalic = False
.FontUnderline = False
End With
With Me.Controls.Item("Label89")
.FontItalic = False
.FontUnderline = False
End With
End If

If you don't want to go with a snapshot format, you could use a text box in your report that displays Y or N or anything else you want to use. Use an IIf statement in the Control Source of the text box: =IIf([YesNoFieldName],"Y","N")

Jeff

Richard1458:

The easiest solution may be to modify the format of the checkbox in the underlying query.

Select the field to be modified, right click and select properties.

In the properties dialog General Tab, select format and select one of the options: Yes/No, True/False, On/Off.

Select the Lookup Tab and change the Display Control to Text Box.

This will display the check box as the text you chose and will retain that when you export as an RTF.

Hope this helps.

Larry De Laruelle
larry1de@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back