Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to open date and time format dialog box in Microsoft Word 2010 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkoopers

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2005
US
In Microsoft Word 2010, when I click on “Date & Time” in the “Insert” ribbon, instead of popping up the date and time format selection dialog window, it just inserts the date and time in this format: 5/11/2011 10:20 AM

How do I change this so that it pops up the dialog box to select one of the various date and time formats (instead of always inserting that one format)?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

That is weird. Alt+Shift+D should insert the date directly, but the command on the Insert menu should launch the dialog.

I can't imagine how this has happened without someone writing a macro to intercept the Word command and insert the current date.

Test with everything disabled by starting Word in Safe Mode. From Start Run (Winkey+R), type in

winword /a

and press Enter. Word will start in Safe Mode (its default install condition bypassing all customisations). Test the Insert Date and Time command button now.

That will tell us if we need to look at customisation or something else. I suspect that you may have some add-in that is doing this.

Regards: Terry

When running Word in "Safe Mode", the dialog box correctly appears when I click on "Date & Time" in the "Insert" ribbon.

I checked my macros and discovered that a while back I had created a macro called "InsertDateTime" (to insert the date and time in the format I indicated previously) and placed it on the "Quick Access Toolbar". Apparently, "InsertDateTime" is the same name that Microsoft Word 2010 uses for that dialog box. I created a new macro called "InsertDateAndTime" to do the same thing and deleted the "InsertDateTime" macro and now the dialog box appears when I click on "Date & Time".

Thanks for leading me to the solution.

I wanted to just rename the macro but I could not figure out how so I had to create a new macro and delete the macro. How can I rename a macro?

To change the macro name, you need to access the macro in the VBA Editor. There are two ways to do this.

Go to the Developer Ribbon, click on Macros and then right-click on the Macro name and choose Edit. That will open the Editor. You should be seeing

Sub InsertDateTime()

Select InsertDateTime, type the new name and press the Save command button. Close the Editor.

The alternative is to launch the VBA Editor (Alt+F11), navigate to the macro if necessary and change as above.

Regards: Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back