Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to obtain internal email volume stats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

forbsy

MIS
Apr 16, 2002
CA
I'm trying to calculate total message volume within an Exchange environment. I can use Brightmail statistics to see how much email is coming into the organization, and since we clean mail on the way out I can use the anti-virus application statistics to see how much email is on it's way out.
What I also need is to know how much internal mail volume is going on. This includes:

- Sent/received locally (within the same exchange server)
- Sent/received within the same routing group (between exchange servers)
- Sent/received remotely to another routing group

Since internal mail doesn't traverse any spam or anit-virus filtering it's difficult to find out. I'm not looking for a breakdown as illustrated above. Just an approximation of internal mail flow as defined above. If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Ian

Hi. This is an Exchange 2003 organization.

Thanks

-forbsy

We use Quest Messagestats to gather that type of information

It can give you all that plus trending, mailbox size reports, up time and quite a bit more.

It does need to be run on it's own server with SQL

Thanks sscherin! That's exactly what I was looking for. Is it easy to set-up? Does it subject Exchange to a lot of additional overhead?

Easy to setup? can't say, One of the other guys here set it up. There's nothing to install on the exchange server.. It just pulls logs from your exchange server on a schedule.

There can be a bit of network traffic when it's collecting data so we schedule it to run at night.

After it's collected running reports has no impact on your exchange server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back