Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to not print blank lines in Oracle report 6i

Status
Not open for further replies.

kzhangkzhang

Programmer
Mar 9, 2004
US
I am using Oracle 6i. Here is an example of output of my report:

Component Seq SubInv Quantity
========= === ====== ========
018-1071 10 test1 10
test2 20
<=== blank line
test3 30
018-1234 20 test1 20
<=== blank line
<=== blank line
test2 30

Notice that there is a complete blank line after 2nd line of result; Also, there are 2 blank lines after line 5.
There is no question about the query the report using.

My question is is there an easy way not printing those blank lines without modifying the original SQL query?
I am thinking I can use format trigger...however, I just realize the format trigger only can hide information, not delete information.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated...

If format trigger of the frame with variable vertical elastisity returns false, it will not only hide the frame information, but also collapse the frame.

Hi Nagornyi:

can you explain more? I am still confused....Sorry, I am a junior oracle report developer.

Do you means I should create a format trigger for the repeat frame which contains all the columns in my report?

For my report, it breaks on component and sequence; even though you saw a blank line (for example line 3 of above example)in the result, those blank line still contains some data. For example, for line 3 in above example, the component column is 018-1071 and Seq = 10; Because the report breaks on Component and Seq, it will not display value for Component and Seq for line 3.

I guess I can use the following format trigger for the repeat frame:

Return :)Component is not null or Seq is not null or ...)

This format will never return false, since the :Component and :Seq bind variable will have value for those blank line.

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

Use format trigger for the repeating frame that gives rise to the SubInv group. You just need to
Code:
return :SubInv is null;
Then this frame will not repeat when no SubInv data in the line, while the repeating frames for Component an Seq will shrink to hide extra space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back