Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to network two win 2000 pro boxes together with crossover cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
HELP :)...i've been beating my head against the wall all day trying to figure this out. How do i configure my two windows 2000 machines to be networked together.

Im a complete newbie at this so i need complete instructions. thanks

Win2k makes networking a snap!
2 Nic's (one in each computer)
And A CAT5 Crossover cable will do it...

What is the problem (in detail) you're having? sdibias
MCSE 2000

Hi!

How do i configure my two windows 2000 machines to be networked together.
Join in a domain network or just a simple workgroup by using a hub? or just connecting thru crossover cable?

im using a crossover cable..i configured box a with a ip of 192.168.142.1 and host name of fuzzy, box b is 192.168.142.2 and called bob i set them to join the workgroup home-net

i can ping both boxes, but I can't seem to make either of them join homenet which i would assume one of themw ould act as the domain controller for.

bob can see himself in the network neighbourhood but fuzzy cant they both have the exact same settings. So unless I missed a step here I have no clue whats going wrong. I just wanna share files and browse folders from either computer.

The problem is name resolution. For a domain controller you need Win2k server or NT4 server For a 2 node P2P network just install and use NETBEUI.

Add a default gateway on each PC pointing to the others IP address.

you have to activate sharing folders and files in the client control panel.

- make sure the machines have different names,
- give them each a static IP address i.e. 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.2 (looks like you did that)
- make sure they are on the same subnetmask e.g. 255.0.0.0
- make sure you're network card is NOT in the PCI slot nearest the AGP [graphics card], in some architectures they might share resources

Hi
Unfortunately I forgot one of my network's computer's(windows 2000 professional)administrator password. That computer has win98 too.
How can I find that password. Any help could be great.
Thanks. MAhdi A'laei - mahdialaei@yahoo.com

I was just wondering what you guys reccomended to network 2 pcs with Windows 2000 pro on them, to share internet access, printers, files etc. I have a dial up net connection, mostly I want to make it where one comp can get on the net and so can the other, being dial up its not feasable for both to be on at the same time though... I am open to suggestions for wireless, and wired....

Thanks, Chris

If you only have 2 machines, you could use a cross-over and enable ICS. But I have heard many bad things about ICS, never used it myself other than testing. And they can be on at the same time, be it very slowly.. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

I dunno what an ICS is, I was just thinking about going with a wireless network.... I dunno

ICS is Internet Connection Sharing. You simply enable it on your Dial-up connection properties, sharing tab. Here is a link, I'm not sure if you can use a router to share a dial-up or not.. I don't know of any way to, but hopefully someone else does.. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back