Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to network 8 pc using dsl modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fujiko

Programmer
Dec 23, 2001
PH
hi,
im kinda new with the dsl stuff heheh (been stucked with dial up for a century =P) i wanna ask how to create a lan network using dsl modem/connection.. is it the same process just like how you network using dialup connection? please i really do need help on this.

thanks in advance

Buy a wireless DSL router and connect the units to the wireless Access point. The access point will also typically have 4 or more ethernet ports.

The router will need to (simply) programmed with your DSL username, etc. for its settings. Then it takes care of everything else.

Dlink DI-614+ is an example of such a device.

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

by the way, can we make use of non-wireless router? wireless is kinda expensive and its out of the budget hehehe =P

yes either get a wired router with as many ports as you want, or get a switch and attach it to the router for the rest of the ports you need

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Typical home setup is:
[tt]
ISP -- modem -- router -- =switch=
| | |
PC1 PC2 PC3
[/tt]

Sometimes the router and switch come combined as one device.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Your choices are to share the connection is software, or use a hardware broadband router.

I vote complete agreement with all above who recommended using a hardware broadband router.

As you should know about options, see:
But it is simply not worth using anything but hardware for this problem.

thanks guys, thanks for the infos you gave! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back