Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to netw computers in 5 states... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxAttaGirlxx

Technical User
Oct 20, 2007
US
Hi Everyone~ As you can see I am new to this site, but also to the IT Field- so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong section, or if I don't sound right in what I am asking.

For my Concepts class, the question is if I were to implement a network for a company in 5 different states, how would I go about doing it?

This is my personal thoughts on it, so please add FB if you can w/ main components I am lacking, etc. or if I have it completely wrong.

My answer to this is

first I would have to make sure the company in all 5 states had a group of network admin

Each state branch would need their own router

Every computer in the whole company which will be connected to the network will need a Network Interface card

Each branch would then connect to a LAN, which connects to a WAN which makes the networking a go.

Now I know most networks need a file server, so would this be 1 for the whole company (which I think) or 1 per branch ie. in each state?

Lastly, am I on the right track for networking?

Thank you all!!!
Atta

Hi,

If you intend to use a VPN to connect all 5 sites, then in thoery you would only need one file server,

But you may find that speed is an issue

another site could have a file server that is a replication of the main file server (for disater recovery purposes)

depands on the speed required and how much you want to spend

You will also need switches and a VPn terminator/firewall

Hi

your ISP may give you the option to have MPLS, which means they would provide site to site conections like a vpn.

its quite expensive but in thoery less to manage

And a LOT less secure! VPN's have the option of IPSec.

Burt

For my Concepts class,

Normally I don't answer for homework questions (that's a no-no, as you can see at the bottom of the page)...

However...

Since we have a network that currently branches about 15 states... I can tell you how we're doing it.

We are using a VPN, however, instead of just having a raw internet connection at each site and setting up our own VPN gear, we sub-contracted a nation-wide LD carrier to do the VPN for us. Well, let me clarify. Since they're the company providing the services, they're just routing the traffic privately, so it's not really a VPN, it's a PN. lol

Meanwhile, each site has it's own subnet, and all Internet traffic goes back to the main corporate office where it's firewalled and protected and so forth, so there is no bypassing of the private network on a local level to get out to raw Internet without going to the firewall. This also allows for centralized firewall management and bandwidth management.

As far as servers go, there are 15 at my site alone. We are part of an active directory "forest", with the main root being at corporate, but I have my own domain controller and exchange server as well as citrix servers here as well. If we lose network connectivity, we can still drop into a "stand alone" mode to log on, print, and access our citrix desktops without external network connectivity.

Hope this answers your question.

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back