Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Name a Tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clay71260

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2001
US
How do I name a tape so that when performing a RESTORE BackupExec will ask something like “Please insert tape labeled: August 2001 - End of Month” instead of “Please insert tape labeled: r5kdi9rm4”?

i don't think there is one. BE wasn't designed to be so user friendly...

hello, If before you use the tape you erase the tape, then rename it. It will put any name on the tape that you rename it to. you go into drive view. hightlight the drive. right click on it and the menu will come down and hit erase. after it is erased, then do the same and in the pull down menu will be relabel tape . when you do a restore, you are actually looking at the tape with the date. anything you click on, and run the job will ask for the tape that you had set it up for. ..Does that make sense ? Every week, I load tapes, do an inventory, (as veritas doesn't refresh it self) then do the erase. I then put the week1, or week2 or week3 or week4 or month end tape id and date in the alternate label. When you erase it the next time, it will clear out the alternate label. anyway, yes you can erase, then rename a tape and put anything in the name you want. hope this helps...blonde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back